For dslite and dsi xl owners, a nitpicky question

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by takitam, Jan 20, 2013.

1. takitam
    OP

Newcomer takitam Member

Angola
    I have recently bought a dsi xl, I had a ds lite for a few years. Having no games for the xl atm, I spent some time comparing how screens look on both consoles. And I noticed one thing that looks bad on xl.

When I look at the health/safety screen from very close on dslite (its most visible on white static screen), I can see every pixel being white and i can see the separation lines are even. Looking at dsi xl close up I can see each single pixel is like separated in 2 parts vertically, one part is green and one is red, and the separation lines between pixels are bigger vertically than horizontally.

You can only notice this looking at the screen at your eyes minimum focus distance, from normal viewing distance everything seems ok'ish.

Also do you guys think the fonts in the menu of dsi xl are terrible? They are not only black but also nintendo decided to use some shades of grey pixels around and that makes them blurry.

I wonder if my xl's screen is faulty. Any input on the matter is appreciated.

2. porkiewpyne

Member porkiewpyne Report-er

Australia
    It looks awful the first time round. But after a while, I don't seem to mind the "flaws" anymore.

3. LockeCole_101629

Member LockeCole_101629 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    it just have bigger screen, but not resolution
    it's like comparing a big bulky old TV 50' with 14"

there's no difference in resolution, just a bigger pixel that you will notice the screen displaying RGB colors it if you look it closely, and since it's using more light black colors will look more bright.

4. takitam
    OP

Newcomer takitam Member

Angola
    So you guys are basically saying that this is normal? ;)

edit:
    I read a bit about lcd displays and it seems thats how they work. It's the big size of a single pixel on the dsi xl that makes the phenomenon described in the first post so easy to notice. Maybe this thread will be helpful to some fellow ds owners :D

5. Todderbert

Member Todderbert GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The XL screen is much better on my eyes for long gaming sessions, and I do notice the lack of sharpness in some games and homebrew versus using a ds lite or a normal DSi.