For anyone gets "the software was closed because an error occurred" when portal 2 is loading, you need to turn on airplane mode

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As title suggests. Apparently portal 2 is another game that will error out when nintendo servers are blocked by dns mitm. Btw very decent port. Finally I can play portal on my switch, been pulling my hair out trying to get portal working on switchroot android until I realized it's not supported. Hopefully we can get half life 2 on switch too.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As title suggests. Apparently portal 2 is another game that will error out when nintendo servers are blocked by dns mitm. Btw very decent port. Finally I can play portal on my switch, been pulling my hair out trying to get portal working on switchroot android until I realized it's not supported. Hopefully we can get half life 2 on switch too.

BTW, I was able to remedy this on my Switch without

a) turning on airplane mode
or
b) turning off dns:mitm

…using .asm64 patches from the minds of @masagrator, @hippy dave and @bestpig here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-it-f...nternet-connection-module.609819/post-9792052
https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-it-f...nternet-connection-module.609819/post-9793883

3B8E2754-CE17-466A-A712-A34930318D0C.jpeg

7FC22163-91E2-43D3-80A2-E001EE188028.jpeg

e: haven’t personally tried this latest one yet…

https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-it-f...nternet-connection-module.609819/post-9841382

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SaltySD patches didn´t work for me... :(

EDITED: sorry I didn't added the contntes folder by mistake.

It´s working!!!!
Wooohooo! Nice job man! Congrats! Be sure to thank the original authors.
(I’m just a dude who knows another dude who worked with some other dudes.)

Arrrchitects

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any time I have a problem launching a game/it closing out on me randomly 'Airplane Mode' is the first thing I try. Surprisingly it almost always works for me and whatever game I'm having issues with.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any time I have a problem launching a game/it closing out on me randomly 'Airplane Mode' is the first thing I try. Surprisingly it almost always works for me and whatever game I'm having issues with.
I used to have that issue on occasion. After applying the patches above I’ve not seen it pop back up so I’ve not had to use Airplane Mode ever since...knock on wood. It could be just coincidence of course, but I prefer to believe the patches have been almost a silver bullet.

Reactions: peteruk

randy_w

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be great if they integrate this patch into atmosphere, or make an option to enable/disable it.
I think lan multiplayer works, I can create a room and search for other players. Only installed portal on one of my switches so can't test for you, maybe someone else can answer.

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were to use the patch would local wireless work? Portal 2 crashes if I turn airplane mode back off.
Ive not tried it but encourage you to read through the discussion for confirmation. I believe it’s just masking a specific network response that makes the game error out. It shouldn’t impact local wireless at all. Try it and respond back here with your results. To roll back the patch, you simply remove the file and reboot. I left mine in and forgot about it until one of these threads pop up. LOL

darthnater4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive not tried it but encourage you to read through the discussion for confirmation. I believe it’s just masking a specific network response that makes the game error out. It shouldn’t impact local wireless at all. Try it and respond back here with your results. To roll back the patch, you simply remove the file and reboot. I left mine in and forgot about it until one of these threads pop up. LOL
I'm able to create a game fine but I won't be able to test multiplayer till tomorrow when I have access to my gf's switch. I'll update when that happens.

Update: I've looked around other places and have seen reports of it working

Last edited by darthnater4ever,
  • Love

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm working with this game and I needed to block internet connection.
This helps with game running, but game is still connected to network, which is a problem for somebody that wants to use GDB.
Figured out that in this game you need only to patch nn::nifm::Initialize() to return anything than 0.

Game will load correctly and it won't be connected to network.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.