For any Magic the Gathering Players

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by W.I.C.K.E.D., May 25, 2010.

May 25, 2010
  1. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

Member W.I.C.K.E.D. GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Any players are invited. I am trying to get this software (OCTGN) the recognition it deserves. The official website is octgn.net . It works basically like playing at a table in front of you only over the internet. Even if you don't feel like playing OCTGN is a great deck building tool. IRC channel is irc.ircstorm.net, port 6667, and join #octgn. All of the card sets can be found here http://www.mediafire.com/sets . The software supports sealed play and constructed decks, and is constantly updated. This is a way better alternative to magics online services being they charge way too much for digital cards that have no resale value. I welcome all to play, and matches are made within the IRC. Whether you are an old school player, new to the game, or just haven't played in a while this is a great opportunity to meet some new people, and become a more experienced planeswalker. Hope to see some new players soon. This software also supports some other trading card games, but I've only tried it with MTG. Here are the links to what's needed once more.

http://www.octgn.net/index.php - Main site where software is downloaded. .NET 4 and OCTGN can be found here, both are needed
    irc.ircstorm.net, port 6667, and join #octgn - IRC channel where players are met and matches are made
    http://www.mediafire.com/sets - where all card sets and other files can be found (after download these decks have to be installed to OCTGN)

Edit: I believe even one of the regulars in the IRC is hosting ventrilo on his home server. Any one wanting to post a response will help being it will bump the thread allowing more to see the post. This is a big community here and I know there are some players amongst us.

2. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Is this better than Apprentice?

Sorry, I can't install it on Windows 7, and the firefox version is not up to date.

3. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

United States
    I never used that but from what their site says it hasn't been updated in almost 2 years....which probably means support is over. OCTGN is in it's second version and is up to date with every set currently released, and all are supported for sealed play.

Edit: the card quality is very nice in this too, I was very impressed when i first was introduced to this. Many of my friends quit playing MTG so it became more so I couldn't play not because of me not wanting to, but that I had nobody to play with.

Edit: token cards are implemented in the software, sometimes we play 2 headed giant, honestly if the community got built up a little more we could probably host our own tournaments and such.

4. TwinRetro

United States
    Like I said, I can't install it at all on my computer. I get some error about Microsoft Common Language

5. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

United States
    What's the error say?

6. TwinRetro

United States
    Nevermind, i'm a complete idiot that can't follow simple instructions [​IMG]

7. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

United States
    glad you got it working for ya [​IMG]

8. TwinRetro

United States
    Edit: Just FYI for everyone, jDownloader is your friend

9. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

United States
    A little update...OCTGN also has support for Vs system (dc and marvel) , world of warcraft, dragon ball Z, and UFS trading card games. [​IMG]

Edit: I have to inform any interested in these other games, I notice mostly MTG players in the IRC. There might be another channel for these other games, I'm not sure. If you do wanna play these though and have friends that play have them download it and you can play them..either through OCTGN's built in hosting(ipv4 or 6) or even play over hamachi or tunngle if you have issues as it can happen.

10. GreatZimkogway

Member GreatZimkogway Touhou Fanatic

United States
    Hmm...I may download this. Need a way to get better. Though, I don't suppose you can make your own decks on this, can you?

11. W.I.C.K.E.D.
    OP

United States

Yep, every card set ever made is in the downloads at mediafire...and once you download them you install each to octgn or just the ones you intend to use. Then use the built in deck editing feature to create as many decks as you want, you can even add sideboards to them.. I do believe there are some pre-made decks in the mediafire files. The deck building interface is awesome and allows filtering cards by type..set..rules..cost.. and more.

Edit: I am looking into getting a TS3 or ventrilo server for this just to make the experience that much better, plus it just makes things easier than typing in the in-game chat or IRC.