Hardware Fooling Wiimote battery sensor?

MysTiCy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi!

I found out that when you replace 3V with 2,4V (normal vs. rechargeable batteries), the Wiimote thinks that the rechargeables are almost empty all the time because of the 0,6V difference.

So anyone have found out any workaround for this? Wiimote modification or some application? :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi!

I found out that when you replace 3V with 2,4V (normal vs. rechargeable batteries), the Wiimote thinks that the rechargeables are almost empty all the time because of the 0,6V difference.

So anyone have found out any workaround for this? Wiimote modification or some application? :)
It's not due to the Voltage difference, at least I doubt it, I'm using rechargables myself (1,2V x2 = 2,4V, Energizer Recharge brand) and my Wii shows three bars on'em. If anything, it checks capacity. (Via flow of mA).

Are you sure your batteries are not faulty? Have you tested them with another appliance? Have you checked the Wiimote with another set of batteries?

MysTiCy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
It does'nt bother me how much there is power left, but that irritates that every game reminds me of it all the time with the popup.

"it checks capacity. (Via flow of mA)." Capacity, via the aid of voltage. A is related to V, so it is sniffing the voltage.

The batteries are good.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It does'nt bother me how much there is power left, but that irritates that every game reminds me of it all the time with the popup.

"it checks capacity. (Via flow of mA)." Capacity, via the aid of voltage. A is related to V, so it is sniffing the voltage.

The batteries are good.
V - Volts, measure of electrical potential.
A - Ampere, measure of electrical current.

Two different things, entirely.

discuss99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
same here, some of my rechargeable batteries, after used for few times, then even fully charged, always have 2 bars only or sometimes
the wii remote power off.

however, if I use it on some other electrial applicances, it still can use for a long time....wii remote always think my rechargeable batteries
no power...

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

The batteries are good.
In that case you will want to check for cheats to disable those. I know there is one for Skyward Sword since I use it, but I don't know if anybody has made them for other games.

MysTiCy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Oo, is that so annoying in SS, that there is a cheat for it. I have'nt got much far yet to notice it's annoyingness :D

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Oo, is that so annoying in SS, that there is a cheat for it. I have'nt got much far yet to notice it's annoyingness :D

It is VERY annoying... stupid Fi does nothing but whine constantly.
At least she isn't as bad as Navi in the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time. I specify the 3DS version because:
1) They increased the frequency at which you recieve her "tips" (she told me to play the Nocturne of Shadow several times while I was in the Shadow Temple!)
2) If you have 3D enabled, she tells you to take a break every 10-15 minutes.

Lucif3r

Trophies
XP
Country
At least she isn't as bad as Navi in the 3DS remake of Ocarina of Time. I specify the 3DS version because:
1) They increased the frequency at which you recieve her "tips" (she told me to play the Nocturne of Shadow several times while I was in the Shadow Temple!)

Oh.. My... God... So they have noobified the game -.-. Just like SS ("Master, there appears to be a treasure chest 2 feet infront of you, I suggest you open it")

And I assume Navi is also whining about battery?

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Oh.. My... God... So they have noobified the game -.-. Just like SS ("Master, there appears to be a treasure chest 2 feet infront of you, I suggest you open it")

And I assume Navi is also whining about battery?
Lol, well the battery warning isn't as bad as on the Wii because red status comes at a much lower percentage.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If your rechargeable batteries show only 2 bars when they are full, you got bad rechargeables. All batteries loose some voltage while being drained, but good rechargeables loose it much slower than the normal 1.5V ones, even when they start at "only" 1.2V.

When buying rechargeable batteries you have to watch out for the "new gen", which have a self discharge rate of less than 20% per year and come charged when you buy them. The others are empty after lying 2-3 weeks in a drawer, and loose the voltage really quickly. I really do not understand why it's still allowed to sell the old gen, sure they got the higher capacities. But only on paper, in most cases you are happy, if you can use 50% of it before your devices show that your batteries are dead.

Devices always determine how much power is left with the voltage, and most of them have a minimum voltage before they turn themselves off. If your batteries are still 80% full, but the voltage got below the minimum, they are "empty".

MysTiCy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Old gen sells better, just because of the "whopping" about 500mA bigger capacity than old :D

The batteries i have, are by the way, some battery packs with a loading station. It was cheap, includes four battery packs. One charge lasts about 3h continuous play. I can manage with them. We play two player game, so the other two batteries can charge while playing with others. :)
But how long does the better batteries last in Wii remotes? For example GP Recyko or something, any experience?

I have'nt still got to open the remote, i've been very busy doing other business :)

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
getting back to the point of this topic, i would say that an ocarina code or a generic main.dol patch would both get the job done. if youre not the sort of person that likes to build your game loader from source, then you might want to whip up an ocarina code for it. otherwise i would put a main.dol patch in geckoOS or whatever youre loading the games with and have it patch the SDK function that gets the battery level to always return full. if you get really bored, you can patch this function to return 1.35x the reported charge or something, so it will still tell you when your wiimote is dying, but not do it prematurely.

MysTiCy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i'm not very good at scripting/coding, actually very bad :D

I tried to find out hardware solution, by opening the remote. It was too complex, and i did'nt even find any datasheet for the battery controller chip.

Well, i'll try to find the Ocarina code for the Zelda SS.

Where does the word "Ocarina" come to the cheats by the way anyone know? Originally used in Ocarina of Time and expanded into other games? :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back