fooling microsoft for repairs

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by raybattousai, Oct 17, 2009.

Oct 17, 2009
  1. raybattousai
    OP

Member raybattousai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So i have two 360s one i bought myself the other i bought used from some one. The used one RROD and the guy i bought it from had it repaired wit M$ before so the serial number for the 360 is already linked to his windows live ID. What i wanna know is if I were to take the case from my 360 and put it on the RROD 360 an put the warranty sticker back on without damaging it, could i send it to M$ an get it repaired seeing as the serial # is on the 360 casing its self or are they gonna no its been switched once they open it?

2. Bloodgod

Member Bloodgod 嵐の王

United States
    rofl. fraud

3. xbman

Member xbman GBAtemp Regular

Hard to say, as the serial is kept internally as well, so if they can still access that information, they could catch the mismatch. But you might want to give it a try, worst case they send it back unrepaired.

The reason I say that is when my 5th (yes 5th) 360 died, it had flashed firmware and because of the problem I had, there was no way to reflash it back. In addition no warranty sticker, the case had a crack as one of the tabs got stuck when I opened it, and the serial one the case was from a different one.

Keep in mind that was August 07 when I sent it back and they sent me a new (refurbished) one back - despite having flashed firmware, cracked case, mismatching serials and no warranty sticker.

You could also try calling them, and if it's still under warranty, they should still honor it. If so, send it in, if not you really don't have much to lose (except perhaps shipping as I believe they stopped shipping coffins out for dead 360s).

4. raybattousai
    OP

United States
    Hey at least both consoles are still under warranty for RROD repairs. I just have the issue of that guy having it repaired before. So its not like I'm really keeping M$ outta some money or anything [​IMG]

5. raybattousai
    OP

United States
    Thanks alot. Thats the answer i figured i would get but your story makes me feel much much more hopeful about the results I'll get

6. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Yeah it's worth a shot but there are stories of some machines getting kept if they are hacked or whatnot so keep that in mind (not that it would matter if it isn't working anyway).

7. mpg187

Member mpg187 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The XBox gets register with a live ID?

Goddamn microsoft, they try to make you have one for everything. I went on my phone to MS's Windows Mobile site for themes and they wanted me to sign into a live account, to download Server 2003 and 2008 from Dreamspark they wanted one. Can't they understand I DON'T WANT A LIVE ID AND I WILL NEVER USE IT.