3. Yes

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  4. 33 voter(s)
  1. x65943

OP x65943 the end is nigh, buy doge coin
    Global Moderator

United States
    Do you guys have foods you've tried to like, but just can't eat?

Some common ones seem to be black licorice, brussel sprouts, cilantro, root beer (for euro types)

Personally I've tried fruit cake on like 6 different occasions and just can't bring myself to enjoy it, it just tastes wrong. Like good god put that fruit into a pie.

2. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    I was born in a tropical country with many "exotic" fruits that I don't like. For example, durian, salacca zalacc, etc. I tried to like it, but since it does not match my tongue, I disliked it immediately. I wonder if there is any science behind it that explains why some people like and some dislike some tastes.

x65943 likes this.
  3. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    Oh god man, durian. The one time I tried it - I still have PTSD if I smell that fruit.

My friend's dad told me the first time he tried it he vomited.

r5xscn likes this.
  4. XAIXER

XAIXER Kaiser Supremissimus

Canada
    Lots of foods I don't like, others I can't eat. So my palette is quite limited.

x65943 likes this.
  5. Esdeath

Esdeath GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    @r5xscn ah yes, tropical country Antarctica :D

Basically eat / drink anything, comes only down to how the food is handled.

r5xscn and x65943 like this.
  6. x65943

Global Moderator

United States
    you laugh, but give global warming a few more decades :'V

dragonblood9999 and r5xscn like this.
  7. ChicoPancho

ChicoPancho enjoys tech too much

United States
    BBQ sauce, Mayo, Relish, Ketchup, Mustard, raw tomatoes, and any kind of Fish/Seafood are things I absolutely despise. I don't drink sugary drinks, hate Chinese food, and hate McDonalds and any other fast food place of comparable quality.

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I cannot eat Cheez-its, Goldfish, etc. They're disgusting.

9. CPG

CPG haggis!

Canada
    if you give me pickles on any burger i will shove your foot in your ass

Nerdtendo and XAIXER like this.
  10. SG854

SG854 I Will Show You Paradise

Comoros
    Anything made from Human flesh

XAIXER likes this.
  11. XAIXER

XAIXER Kaiser Supremissimus

Canada
    Soylent Green.

12. r5xscn

r5xscn GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    Well. I was born in a tropical country...

One time, I got food poisoning from a big mac. I had a big suspicion on the pickles.

x65943 and CPG like this.
  13. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    I don't care for beans. I like peas but that's about it. Its more of a texture thing then the beans themselves, but I do like tofu if its done right. I don't like Veal, it just tastes weird to me.

I also will eat but don't care for tomatoes, but I love anything made from them. Also the funny thing is that when I lived with my parents, me and my dad would garden together and at one time he had over 13 or 14 different kinds of tomatoes.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by dragonblood9999, Feb 2, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim and x65943 like this.
  14. DarthMickeyVII

Newcomer

Brazil
    Veal.... not a fan at all of veal, and also many kinds of fish. I used to love fish until one day, my mom cooked one for us, but it was parmegian, and not clean. Once I bit into the scales, that was pretty much it. Any other kinds of food, I'm pretty ok with, love vegetables and salads, chicken, pork, etc.

15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi™ Genderfluid Gang!

Antarctica
    I don't like some textures, like cooked squid and octopus or animal fats. I tend to completely lose my appetite when it comes down to those textures in my food.

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    As covered in a great many other places I don't like tomatoes and tomatoes don't like me (if one enters me it exits at pace one way or the other and I really dislike the taste, seems to be a family thing as well as going back various ones before me did not like them at all and various cousins do today despite us growing up with very different diets). It is a pain in the arse as tomatoes are a cheap bulking ingredient, something of a flavour enhancer and are thus put in everything -- crisps, endless sauces, pickles/chutneys, chips, pies... basically means I cook most things myself even if was not cheaper and tastier.

I am not a great fan of smoked things, can eat them to be polite but never seek them. Absolutely adore preserved meats though -- jerky, billtong, kilishi, pemmican, various cured sausages... all day long really.
    Also not a great fan of salty things. By extension soy sauce is absolutely disgusting, only exception being kicap manis/kecap manis which is soy sauce, absolutely loaded with sugar and boiled down into a thick syrup (you tend to find it in Indonesian and Dutch foods). This dislike of soy also very much extends to soy milk.

Even ignoring the smokey things then somewhat limited in fish choices -- tilapia is not a thing around here really but it is a boring as cod. Haddock, skate and bream are my favourites otherwise. Tuna (proper steak, not what Americans have in a can) and swordfish also up there.

Not a fan of white sauces on meat. Will happily have it with pasta or rice or vegetables but put it on my steak and I will accuse you of either ruining a good steak or covering up for a bad one by making it worse.

You can keep your aubergines (eggplant if you prefer American names), courgettes (zucchini) and beetroot. Squashes only sparingly in a curry or if prepared by someone that knows what they are doing. Can't get enough pumpkin though.

Don't like bacon (won't eat it at all) and don't think I have ever sought out pork/ham/other pig products... and would infinitely rather have beef, lamb, chicken... basically anything else. Will eat pork mince in sausages, scotch eggs, sausage rolls, sausage meat and the like, but never have it for any kind of shepherds pie, curry, lasagne or the like. Pity it is so cheap really as the others tend to be rather expensive on a gram for gram basis.

Don't like turkey. They are stupid animals in life and no better in death. Will nibble any other commonly nibbled bird really before them.

While I will eat most forms of curry I am not huge on dahl (lentil based). There are some lentil based things I like but not that... think it is the slightly smokey nature of things. Also not huge on many Indian subcontinent pickles and preserves (achaar if you want a term) vs European efforts. Think it is the lime.

Not huge on almonds compared to most other nuts with the obvious exception being marzipan. But more generally will eat cashews by the bag, and you don't want to know what happened to the chocolate covered Brazil nuts. Will often pick out the almonds if throwing some mixed nuts into a cake (though that is more because by the time the pestle and mortar gets to them then everything else is oily dust/paste.

If these is some flavour of spicy then I will eat it -- adore cinnamon (Vietnamese is best), ginger, chillies and the like. Will not thank you at all for mustard (Amercian mustard is not mustard, it is yellow in flavour), horseradish or wasabi.

Think that pretty much covers what not to cook for me.

Do Canadians also do the utter heresy that is calling things preserved not in vinegar but in brine as pickles? Can't say I stopped at many burger places in Canada but if it is like the US... I always wondered why people would have a strong dislike of pickles. Had one... just no.

17. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I seem to be the first person to vote no. I like to cook and eat all kinds of different food.

18. Jokey_Carrot

Jokey_Carrot G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.

United Kingdom
  19. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun Pro Plasher

Uruguay
    Cheese Pizza, to me Pizza always tasted best without cheese

20. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Dick, With Balls
    Reviewer

United States
    Can't stand the taste of any and all alcohol, regardless how "masked" people say it is by other flavors. I've tried the fruitiest "girly" drinks alive, I've tried things with proportionally tiny volumes of alcohol vs other mixers, and regardless what it is I still get that alcohol taste that I can't stand, so I just don't drink it. In the 5+ years I've been legally allowed to drink (and probably the 10+ when most people might sneak it), I've never been drunk or even so far as to claim being tipsy.

I also hate overly messy "finger" foods, like saucy chicken wings, greasy fried chicken, or ribs off the bone and eating them with my hands. I like the taste of those foods generally, but if I can't get it boneless so I can easily eat it with a fork then I just don't eat it.

Draft saved Draft deleted