Follow Limit

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by VinLark, Oct 18, 2016.

1. VinLark
    OP

VinLark This machine kills bourgeois sentimentality.

Jun 11, 2016
    Trinidad and Tobago
    4chan and other wonders of the internet
    So, I got really board and decided to follow as many people I could seek out. But I got this error.
    upload_2016-10-18_0-58-59.png
    I was wondering, why? Why is there a limit to people you could follow. What if somebody really needed to follow more than 1000 people? Just asking here

2. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Just out of curiosity, can you come up with a valid reason? Why do you think even Twitter switched to a filtering mechanism?

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It is likely a combination of sanity, security and a hope that nobody would need it.

I imagine the forum has not adopted the facebook, youtube subscription and google search style "just show them a decent selection of stuff from those they follow" approach and therefore your thousand person follow list generates a serious database query or database load depending upon how it is coded.

If someone really needed to it would probably fall under tough shit. I don't know if mods are subject to such things like the difference between staff and users for using the search repeatedly, and if a user really needed such things (I don't see why but hey) then it might be that a special user group could be made for them.

VinLark, Seriel and Issac like this.
  4. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Jamaica
    Hemshof
    Oh man and I thought I was famous.

VinLark likes this.