OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
fmsxDS v0.09 released
MSX emulator sees and update
Nyagosu has released a new version of his DS MSX emulator (last was early August) based around the fmsx core.

fmsxds.JPG

Updated core to 3.5
Small sound changes aimed at headphones.
GUI reshuffle
Added mouse emulation (the author states not to expect much as a computer mouse and touchscreen are not that similar in operation).

For the unaware the MSX was a home computer (much like the amiga) based on the Z80 processor with a version of microsoft BASIC at the core of it that was launched in late 1983. While not very popular at all in North America the MSX family of computers enjoyed considerable success in parts of former Soviet Union, Korea, Japan, South America in places like Brazil and Chile as well as mainland Europe.

icon11.gif
MSXAll, umbrella site for all things MSX
icon11.gif
fMSX homepage
icon11.gif
FMSXDS Author homepage
download.gif
download (binaries and sources)
Thanks to dc-emu for the news

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My one is in my GF's parents loft, spacebar is knackered though. May get this one, I don't remember trying the last version. Maybe I'll give the translated version of Snatcher I run through.

From wiki:
"MSX was the name of a standardized home computer architecture in the 1980s. It was a Microsoft-led attempt to create unified standards among hardware makers, conceived by one-time Microsoft Japan executive Kazuhiko Nishi. Despite Microsoft's involvement, MSX-based machines were seldom seen in the United States but were hugely popular in other markets[dubious – discuss]. Eventually 5 million MSX-based units were sold world-wide.

Nishi proposed MSX as an attempt to create a single industry standard for home computers. Inspired by the success of VHS as a standard for video cassette recorders, many Japanese electronic manufacturers along with Goldstar, Philips and Spectravideo built and promoted MSX computers. Any piece of hardware or software with the MSX logo on it was compatible with MSX products of other manufacturers. In particular, the expansion cartridge form and function were part of the standard; any MSX expansion or game cartridge would work in any MSX computer.

Nishi's standard consisted primarily of several off-the-shelf parts; the main CPU was a 3.58 MHz Zilog Z80, the graphics chip a Texas Instruments TMS9918 with 16 KB (KiB) of dedicated VRAM, the sound was provided by the AY-3-8910 chip manufactured by General Instrument (GI), and an Intel 8255 Programmable Peripheral Interface chip was used for the parallel I/O such as the keyboard (and partly by the I/O ports provided by the AY-3-8910). This was a choice of components that was shared by many other home computers and games consoles of the period, such as the ColecoVision home computer (an emulator was later available with which MSX systems could run some of its software), and the Sega SG-1000 video game system. Most MSX systems soon starting to integrate not only the common "glue logic" components but also the Z80 CPU, the sound chip, the 8255 PIO and the Video Display Processor into a single chip, called an MSX-Engine chip. The result was that one only needed an MSX-Engine chip and some ROM and RAM chips to build a basic system, which greatly reduced production costs. However, almost all MSX systems used a professional keyboard, not a chiclet keyboard, which drove the price up again. So these components alongside Microsoft's MSX BASIC made the MSX a competitive, though somewhat expensive, home computer package.

The system MSX most closely resembled was the Spectravideo SV-328 home computer (Spectravideo even claimed to be "MSX compatible" in advertisements before the actual launch of MSX systems) but it was in fact not completely compatible with it. This led to a new and short-lived kind of software cracking: converting. Since the MSX games were unplayable on the SV-328 computer, SV-328 crackers developed a method of modifying the (MSX) games to make them work on the SV-328. In most cases this included downloading the MSX BIOS to the SV-328 from tape or floppy disk. Spectravideo later launched a system, the SV-728, which did completely adhere to the MSX standard.

Before the appearance and great success of the Nintendo Famicom, MSX was the platform for which major Japanese game studios, such as Konami and Hudson Soft, produced their titles. The Metal Gear series was originally written for MSX hardware. [1]"

Konami did some really good games for this.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The MSX is my second favorite computer, and it brings back lots of memories.
Is this emulator capable of running MSX2 games or not ?
Anyway, most of the European games were ported from the ZX Spectrum, which is a shame because the MSX had so much more to offer (hardware sprites, more colours..), however Japanese games were a real kick.
Games like Gradius, Kings Valley, Aleste or Metal Gear solid were really amazing for their time, and they really took advantage of the superior hardware.
I hope to be able to play all those games on my DS !

Tanks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chatshi said:
This is really good news. I didn't even know there was a MSX emu for the DS.
This means Metal Gear time again!
biggrin.gif

For some odd reason, I've been unable to run a Metal Gear ROM... MG:II works... but not MG:I...

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Hadrian said:
This was a choice of components that was shared by many other home computers and games consoles of the period, such as the ColecoVision home computer (an emulator was later available with which MSX systems could run some of its software),

Hmm, i wonder if there was people saying "does this ColecoVision games run on MSX" like some people stating "does it work on PAL" like this board.
rolleyes.gif

On a side note though, i wonder if this emu can run some of the Coleco games since theres no emu (that i know of) for Coleco on the DS.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released