Flying Spaghetti Monster

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was going to post this before but I forgot. So I'm posting it now. Our princibal sat down with a few students, on a serious note. They wanted to discuss with her the freedom to express their religion. The religion of "Flying Spaghetti Monster". I kid you not, and she said it was okay. So what happens then? The kids that asked her are now allowed to wear colanders.

Is that a genuine religion or are they just pulling her leg? She accepted that it was a religion without research, or consultation with the school board. Other part is that a bunch of kids plan on beating them up for having said religion. School authorities were alerted as well.

Any thoughts?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's more of mock religion that really anyone who doesn't give a shit about religion can follow. It's pretty much all tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
http://www.venganza.org/

Honestly like any religion I am not effected by it personally so I really don't care if people follow it. If they are happy, then let them be happy. As long as they aren't hurting themselves and others around them as well aren't forcing it on anyone, then I don't mind.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
People got to believe in something.

Some believe in God, some in Allah, some in Buddha.
In ye olden days, people believed in a variety of gods.
So let them believe whatever they want to believe in.

Reactions: The Catboy
D

Deleted-236924

It's more of mock religion that really anyone who doesn't give a shit about religion can follow. It's pretty much all tongue-in-cheek and not meant to be taken seriously.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
http://www.venganza.org/

Honestly like any religion I am not effected by it personally so I really don't care if people follow it. If they are happy, then let them be happy. As long as they aren't hurting themselves and others around them as well aren't forcing it on anyone, then I don't mind.
"Touched by its noodly appendage"

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are in a society that does allow religions like this one tell yourself that you in one of freedom.
Thank you god that i live in such a society and not some repressive bullshit country!

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I wish I could survive long enough to see the Flying Spaghetti Monster become an actual religion with actual believers. It would be amazing.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster was made up to point out the absurdity of religions. If a religious person says it's bullshit since there's no proof the Pastafarians shoot back that it has just as much proof as their God. The result should be to point out the hypocrisy of believing your own religion over any other possible made up explanation. It can also be used to point out where governmental bodies favour certain religions over others (See the Pastafarian winter holiday "Holiday" and their attempts to put up displays on public ground).

Mostly I just enjoy the funny stories that come out of it for pointing out the silliness of the arbitrary rules religions throw down.

Reactions: The Catboy
D

Deleted User

afaik the religion is called pastafanarism

It got known by some guy in sweden or norway pulling a lawsuit because he wanted to have his picture on his driving license with a noodle sieve as hat

Reactions: raulpica

Bake

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
It's mock religion.

While I don't really care about religion and all that but it seems like most people who follow this mockery are kinda er... dicks.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Pastafarianism is, as mentioned above, a mock religion - it's supposed to ridicule other religions. Its members are actually atheists, they just find it funny to poke fun at religious people. Isn't it just cute that the students you mention went so far in their mockery, defending their "beliefs" in front of the principle rather than just admitting they're atheists.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Pastafarianism is, as mentioned above, a mock religion - it's supposed to ridicule other religions. Its members are actually atheists, they just find it funny to poke fun at religious people. Isn't it just cute that the students you mention went so far in their mockery, defending their "beliefs" in front of the principle rather than just admitting they're atheists.
It's funny, but it's also pretty cool. If I had the guts to do stuff like that I would be bringing up Pastafarianism at every opportunity.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi is so quick to dismiss other people's beliefs.

Y U so intolerant, Foxi?
Because I eat spaghetti on a daily basis - their God is weak. I ATE THEIR GOD, WHERE IS HIS MIGHT NOW!? (In my bowels, but it won't be there forever... I like my pasta spicy - I may feel his wrath eventually :ph34r:)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If there's no Flying Spaghetti Monster, how does spaghetti magically spill out of my pockets whenever I talk to girls?

Checkmate, haters.

Reactions: Lacius
D

Deleted User

Pastafarianism is the only religion with an explanation for the climate change: The global temperature is anti-proportional to the noumber of pirates on the seas

and Bobby Henderson is their prophet

Their rule to live after is WWAPD: what would a pirate do?

After death in heaven there is amongst other stuff a beer volcano and a stripper factory

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While the main takeaway from the Flying Spaghetti Monster concept is the absurdity of religion (i.e. Russell's teapot), it's intended point is that no special rights should be afforded to one religious group over another. For example, if one is going to try to insert religion into the science classroom in the form of creationism, then that would extend to having no reason not to teach about the Flying Spaghetti Monster in the same class.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16