Homebrew Flow and Minesweeper as homebrew

LiquidFenrir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello all! I was bored and recently made 2 homebrew games I thought I'd share here as well :)

First is MineSweeper3D, which is... minesweeper, in 3D. Simple.
I really believe there's a lack of 3d homebrew games, and it turns out citro3d is fairly easy to learn with the examples, you should give it a try!

Here's a link: https://github.com/LiquidFenrir/MineSweeper3D/releases

And the second is ColorFiller, more known as Flow. This one is 2D, but I believe is more fun, both are good puzzle/logic games though.

Link for that one: https://github.com/LiquidFenrir/ColorFiller/releases

Hope some of you have fun with this!
Feel free to request other simple games you'd like made, I'll see if I'm able to do it :D

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Me again! :)

Here's some screenshots for anybody who's interested to see how these games look/work before they go ahead and download:

MineSweeper3D
g3l650i.png

ColorFiller
yNZMZye.png

I've been having a lot of fun with these, it's great to have something new to play on 3DS in 2020.

Minesweeper from a first-person perspective is a really interesting take. It doesn't really change the gameplay vs. normal Minesweeper, it's more about the challenge of viewing the board in a completely different way.

Not to step on your toes, LiquidFenrir, but playing your version got me interested in other ways to adapt Minesweeper as a 3D game. Nintendo actually did a version called "Challenge Tower" which is included as a minigame in Mario Party: Star Rush, which looks like this:
Z044XXK.png

Nintendo's version adjusts the rules in several ways:
  • gameplay is on a cylinder which can be rotated all the way around (there is a top and a bottom, but no side walls)
  • the goal is not to clear the board, but to make a path of safe tiles for the player to climb all the way to the top
  • bomb counters only tally up cardinal directions, not the diagonals
  • bombs (marked with checks/ticks) cannot be next to each other
  • tiles do not clear in groups, only tiles explored or marked by the player are known
  • some tiles (marked with the red X) are neither mines nor safe tiles, they cannot be climbed on or interacted with
The result is a game that is operates on the same basic principles as Minesweeper, but is actually pretty far away from the conventional game.

There's also a commercial game called MineSweeper3D (the name is a coincidence!):
game.gif
This one is closer to conventional Minesweeper than Nintendo's effort, but goes a bit further with mapping Minesweeper onto 3D surfaces, with many different playable shapes, which also involves playing on differently-shaped tiles.

I feel like there's a room for a 3DS Minesweeper game that changes the gameplay more, which could potentially make for a fun homebrew project. Changing the viewing angle definitely changes the feel of the game, but if you're ever looking for more ideas, mapping the board onto a different shape can also really change the way you play the game and make it stand out from the pack.

Reactions: LiquidFenrir

LiquidFenrir

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ooh, both of these look really cool! thank you for taking the time to take screenshots and write this message, it's very interesting to see what people have done, the different shape for the map seems so fun to play and implement! I might give it a try later. (hope that wont be too concept-grabby and dangerous copyright-wise though)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: