Flipnote Studio 3D Announced for Release Outside of Japan

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by endoverend, Jan 20, 2015.

1. endoverend
    OP

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Nintendo has decided to release Flipnote Studio 3D outside of Japan as a free gift to all members of Club Nintendo due to its planned closure in America this June (September in Europe).

The highly popular title Flipnote Studio was released for free for the Nintendo DSi in 2008 in Japan, launching the next year in other regions. It was included with all DSi units with the introduction of firmware version 1.4. It included a feature which allowed users to share their animations on the Internet through the Flipnote Hatena service. This service was officially shut down in May 2013.

Flipnote Studio 3D is the successor to Flipnote Studio and was released in Japan in July 2013. it was originally planned to be released in other regions, however unexpectedly high usage of the service caused the release to be delayed. In November 2013 the ability to share flipnotes between friends was removed due to the possibility of minors sharing inappropriate content using the service. This further drove the nail in the coffin for the hopes of a Western release.

However Nintendo has seen the closure of Club Nintendo as an opening to release the service for free elsewhere. It will be primarily an offline experience; flipnotes can only be shared via local communication. Flipnotes created in the DSi version will be able to be downloaded to the 3DS version via the Internet. Sign up for Club Nintendo before March 31st to receive this deal!

2. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    geeze Nintendo thanks for holding Flipnote out on us....

3. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I know yes finally flipnote 3ds! Worth spending hundreds of dollars of those nintendo games

4. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    Yes! I've been looking forward to this since it was announced 2 years ago. Thanks Nintendo!

5. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    Nice, I really enjoyed my DSi with Flipnote Studio even when I'm null to draw(I still did 1 worthy flipnote at least) I enjoyed the works made with the low resources the software offered.
    Now on the bit of the deceased internet service, that was the best part of Flipnote Studio, cutting that because of some random guys doing flipnotes of doubtful morality is like prohibiting knifes because you can kill people, sure you can but there are far more uses for them like.... I don't know, cutting tomatoes for your salad sounds harmful??

6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    This is what made browsing Flipnote so fun. without this, people will use it offline for like an hour or two and will be bored of it already.

hopefully, local communication includes streetpass relay.

7. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    I don't see why they didn't just release it outside Japan in the first place. I'm pretty sure people would have paid the subscription fee so what was the whole dilemma about?