Gaming Flickery white dots on Black parts

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For whatever reason, on any black parts on say, a game or video, my monitor will have flickery white dots on those parts.
It's been happening for a while, but it's been really annoying lately.
I updated my graphic drivers but to no avail.
They aren't always there though. They usually appear after being on my computer for a while.
Any solutions?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Usually, this is a symptom of a dying graphic card.
if your gpu is still under warranty, try to do a rma.
as a temporary solution, you can try to use a gpu overclocking software to ramp up your gpu fan in order to keep your gpu cooler, that will probably help or, at least take a bit more time before the symptoms shows up.

could also be the monitor.

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Usually, this is a symptom of a dying graphic card.
if your gpu is still under warranty, try to do a rma.
as a temporary solution, you can try to use a gpu overclocking software to ramp up your gpu fan in order to keep your gpu cooler, that will probably help or, at least take a bit more time before the symptoms shows up.
I doubt it's the GPU, since this has been happening since I got it.
If it matters at all my GPU is a Radeon HD 5450.

could also be the monitor.
This seems more likely. Would it mean I need to get a new monitor to fix the problem?

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I doubt it's the GPU, since this has been happening since I got it.
since you got what? your gpu?
That does sound a bit funny.
- "The problem is you video card GPU."
- "I don't think so. The problem has been there ever since I put in my new video card"
Wat?
He was talking about the GPU being old, and the flicker being a sign of it kicking the bucket.
But this problem has been around since I built the computer.
I also feel it more likely to be the monitor, it is pretty old.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was talking about the GPU being old, and the flicker being a sign of it kicking the bucket.
Moving white spots is unlikely to be a monitor issue. It normally occurs due to a graphic card overheating or being over clocked however it can occur from new or near new due to a manufacturing defect.

The white dots occur due to memory or processing errors occurring on the card. If it is a result of over clocking then dropping the speeds back down will often fix the issue before permanent damage occurs. If it has occurred due to overheating or manufacture fault then it will usually be permanent and not repairable.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Moving white spots is unlikely to be a monitor issue. It normally occurs due to a graphic card overheating or being over clocked however it can occur from new or near new due to a manufacturing defect.

The white dots occur due to memory or processing errors occurring on the card. If it is a result of over clocking then dropping the speeds back down will often fix the issue before permanent damage occurs. If it has occurred due to overheating or manufacture fault then it will usually be permanent and not repairable.
I wouldn't say it's unlikely. I know of a couple explanations as to how it could happen on an old/bad monitor, but I'm keeping them to myself until more tests/information comes to light.

churkus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
it could be electrical noise/interference (happened to me). Make sure there are no radio or wireless devices that could cause interference, perhaps try the PC in another room, and try replacing BOTH your PC and monitor power cables for new ones, and disconnect/reconnect your VGA/DVI cable at both ends whilst ur @ it.

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I don't know much about GPU speeds, but I haven't over clocked my Graphics card. Or would it have come slightly over clocked?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

I don't remember using the word "old" and a component doesn't need to be old to be "kicking the bucket", it simply needs to be defect.
I once had a similar problem to what you described (flickering an changing color bright dot in my case), it wasn't especially old and I returned it to the manufacturer for a replacement.

You're saying that it wasn't happening with your old computer but that it started once you plugged your new one (big clue here).

BobTheJoeBob

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

I don't remember using the word "old" and a component doesn't need to be old to be "kicking the bucket", it simply needs to be defect.
I once had a similar problem to what you described (flickering an changing color bright dot in my case), it wasn't especially old and I returned it to the manufacturer for a replacement.

You're saying that it wasn't happening with your old computer but that it started once you plugged your new one (big clue here).
When I finished building my computer, I also started using the monitor I'm currently using now (Though it wasn't new). I'll try a different monitor, if the flicker is still there, then it's the GPU.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr