Hacking Flickering pixels

villadelfia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have a "problem", my wii is showing flickering pixels under certain circumstances. When I run certain homebrew or certain games I get "flickering" pixels, that is, a few separate but clustered pixels on the screen flicker between black and the normal color.

It does not happen all the time and is not even really disturbing... It only happens in USB loader GX and some other homebrew and the home button menu for very old and very new games.

I actually just made this thread to ask whether this is normal or if it is a known problem with softmodded wiis or some unknown door number three.

-V

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well it is not normal as no one else has that flickering, but if you want help to fix that, you need to post your entire info so we can discard possible problems...!!
wink.gif

Firmware [3.2] [3.3] [3.4] [4.0]
cIOS Installed [yes] [no]
if YES, wich version [r10] [r11] etc etc
since when started the problem
wich games get this problem
etc etc etc....

villadelfia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I run 4.0E with the newest cios (r13b?). Fully soft modded, no chip.
I cannot pinpoint the first time, maybe always?

Here is a screenshot of the problem:
DSC01764.jpg

Look at the left side under the sign.

Funny thing is, when I go to the pause menu you can still see them, but not on any of the pause menu elements.

I think my 3D processor is slightly broken.

Chemodile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
villadelfia said:
I run 4.0E with the newest cios (r13b?). Fully soft modded, no chip.
I cannot pinpoint the first time, maybe always?

Here is a screenshot of the problem:
DSC01764.jpg

Look at the left side under the sign.

Funny thing is, when I go to the pause menu you can still see them, but not on any of the pause menu elements.

I think my 3D processor is slightly broken.
I recall reading somewhere about this exact thing happening to Wiis that have overheated, followed by a shitstorm of people blaming WiiConnect24.

villadelfia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ok, so it can not be fixed...

Oh well, it's not even that obvious when you are paying attention to the action.

Great game btw.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
villadelfia said:
Ok, so it can not be fixed...

Oh well, it's not even that obvious when you are paying attention to the action.

Great game btw.

You could turn down your Wii to the red LED and let it cool down this way. Having a bit of luck your graphics processor is still fine, just a little hot and therefore will fix the problem itself.

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
I'm afraid to tell you that this damage is usually permanent, and irreversible. If you turn off WiiConnect24 standby mode, it should not get any worse (but not better, either). If you fail to do so, the console might become completely unusable in a very short time, you should do that NOW.
Nintendo has replaced two of my Wiis with that condition free of charge without requesting any proof of warranty (warranty was already expired on my first Wii). Talk about the issue with your local Nintendo costumer support. If they'd replace it free of charge, you should send it to Nintendo but be sure to erase any signs of hacking.

micahkanchan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yep. Sorry friend, but turn off wii connect 24 right now, so it doesn't get worse. I bought a new wii 2 days ago because of this problem with my launch wii. IT was really horrible. Nintendo would have charged me a lot of money to replace, and since it was relatively cheaper to just purchase one I bought one.

YONKE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I had the same problem a year ago with a launch Wii ......the problem with the crazy pixels is for overheating and theres no way to fix that.............i send it to nintendo to repair and the gave me a new one.... (my wii was "virgin" at that moment)......

Helsionium

Alpha and Omega
Trophies
Website
www.helsionium.eu
XP
Country
Austria
It's strange, this kind of flickering is rather atypical. The most commonly reported problems are green/black pixels visible mostly in the background (i.e. the "skybox"), or the user interface.

Topic Creator, do these appear in some of your games as well? If possible, try retail versions of Zelda: TP (green flickering should be noticeable in the background), Metroid Prime 3 (black flickering should be visible in the background, go to Elysia) or Okami (map screen should flicker) - Also, does the loading screen of the Homebrew Channel flicker?

Because I have had this issue twice, I did a little bit of research and asked other people with the same or similar problems. Almost all people I approached reported the problems I just described. If you don't notice any of the other issues, the GPU damage is probably not really bad, but keep standby connection disabled at all costs.

awmartian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same flickering issue, but it only appears on the USB Loader GX, games loaded through loader, and Homebrew Channel. I dont see any flickering pixels with retail games or in Nintendo channels. I can also cover up the flickering with the Wii pointer. If it is a graphic chip issue why can the pointer cover the flickering up?

Any ideas or suggestions?
unsure.gif

Can I do any fixes for the graphic chip similiar to the 360 fixes?

This is my set up:

4.1U System
CIOSrev14
USB Loader Forwarder
USB Loader GX rev 715
Preloader Installed To Skip Health Warnings & Enable Region Free

Thanks in advance for any help!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
biggrin.gif
I've been having this problem since Super Mario Galaxy's release. I first noticed in the Library (before this, I got a new LCD TV to replace my CRT TV).
One month later, it started to show up in the Wii Menu. I just ignored it.
A few months later, Homebrew Channel is launched. I then install it using Twilight Hack. The problem seems to not appear when using homebrew.
Christmas 2008, I decided to install cIOScorp. Backups still have this problem.
This summer, I updated to 4.1 using Waninkoko's updater, and installed cIOScorp 3.3. I then installed the DarkMii theme. It's harder to notice now.

I've also installed Preloader (for ignoring standby, and for healthwarning skip) and Crazy Intro (for fun).
I don't know what's causing the problem, and I don't know how to stop it.

awmartian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a link to a repair guide on how to fix the graphic chip? Can you take it apart and add new thermal paste to solve the problem? Or what about a fan mod for the Wii? LOL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM