FLCL vids on AK2

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by RoboClover, Jun 20, 2008.

Jun 20, 2008

FLCL vids on AK2 by RoboClover at 5:56 PM (1,711 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. RoboClover
    OP

Newcomer RoboClover Advanced Member

United States
    **RAMBLING** So one of the main reasons i got into this whole handheld modding buisiness was to turn an ordinary commercial handheld into my very own personal video player. I picked up a EZ Flash 4 for the GBA SP i had at the time and started lurking the internet to find some way to get it to play videos. Pretty soon i realized that video on the GBA was damn near impossible and at best it might run 10 minute vids at horrid quality. I gave up on that and enjoyed the other features of my EZ 4 until i came into possesion of an old, barely used DS. I set about looking for a passthrough device or some method of Slot 2 tricking so that i could run my EZ 4 in DS mode and hopefully get some videos that way. Pretty soon after that i realized that for the same price i could just pick up an AceKard 2 which acts as a passme and a DS flashcart. I'm hoping i can finally fulfill my dreams of playing videos on the DS, so i ask: **RAMBLING**

What is a good homebrew app for playing vids on the DS?

Could i get episodes of FLCL (FLCL is my favorite anime...eps are about 20 mins long and have subs) on there and play them at a watchable quality? On the AK2? On the EZ4 in DS mode?

Any tuts for putting vids on a flashcart or is it a pretty simple deal?

2. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  3. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    moonshell is the homebrew you want for playing videos. You'll need to convert your videos to DPG format, but you can definitely watch them on an AK2. Once you have moonshell installed, convert your videos with BatchDPG (see Urza's link above) or some other video conversion program, then put them on your microSD card.

I don't know about your EZ4.

-Bri

4. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    just get a mp3 player that plays video better, not a DS, i can never understand people who do this kind of thing.

5. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    He didn't ask for suggestions on HOW to view the video, he asked on advice on viewing video on his DS.

RoboClover:
    Yes it's possible. In fact, FLCL is one of the few things I did watch on the DS.
    I watched every episode too.
    I want to say I even managed to fit them all on my 1GB microSD.

Moonshell is the program you need to watch it with.
    You can load moonshell through the AceKard2 menu.

6. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    Got it so use moonshell, covert the vids to DPG and they'll run on the AceKard...Moonshell is for MP3s, pics and txt files as well is that right?

As far as quality and getting it to run smoothly...is there any suggested settings to convert it to? I know there are a bunch of settings for conversion with moonshell, bitrate and all that...

About the subtitles, is there something special i have to do for vids with subtitles? If its too much trouble i could just get them dubbed im sure (i kinda preferred the dubbed version for that show anyways) I have a 2 gb card so if subs arent a problem, that'd be great if i could put them all on there...

You got vids to work on the gba huh? What program did you use? Is there a length limit for vids on the gba or is the only limit the size of your card?

7. sumpm1

Newcomer sumpm1 Advanced Member

United States
    You'll probably want to use BatchDPG to convert to DPG. Try a few different settings on some short video files as experiments, that's what most of us did.

8. jabjab

Member jabjab GBAtemp Fan

United States
  9. RoboClover
    OP

United States
    Thanks a ton! i followed that link and am now sucessfully watching vids (including FLCL) on my DS.

10. Phil :: CSF

Newcomer Phil :: CSF Member

United Kingdom
    Usually it's best getting ones that other people ahve encoded and tested for quality. Try the Media section over at GBATMW.

11. ravagekd

Newcomer ravagekd Member

United States
    does watching something with subs really work out well on a ds screen? I cant imagine most subs are very legible after being run through batchDPG....

12. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I watched Gurren lagann, from ep 1-12 on my DS, and they're fine. As long as you got subs with a decent size (That it's very readable, even on a computer), and convert it with the best options (Go to the hardware and utilities section, and you should find a BatchDPG guide, stickied. It's very helpful), they should work well.