Hacking FlashMe causes problems on wi-fi?

Haruspex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I have a flashed Nintendo DS Phat with the latest flashme v7 installed.

I heard if you have flashme installed you can only connect with flashed ds's in the Nintendo wi-fi connection.

Is that true?Does flashme indeed causes problems with wi-fi?Or it is the same as a unflashed ds with the original firmware?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what you're mistaken on is the fact that a flashed DS cannot send some single-card wireless multiplayer games to unflashed DSes. Wi-Fi connection is unaffected.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what you're mistaken on is the fact that a flashed DS cannot send some single-card wireless multiplayer games to unflashed DSes. Wi-Fi connection is unaffected.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!
Sorry to be so rude, but i hear this alllll the time, and it doesnt make any sense. (well it does but its not true!) I ALWAYS play against my friends with unflashed ds'es (tetris ds) and Mario Kart as well as brainage... The only time i have had a problem sending the game and connecting to a unflashed ds, is when I played the New super mario brothers. WHich leads me to the conclusion that it is the Rom and not the system's firmware that is corrupt. And yes, you can play on wifi and do everythig you could with a stock ds, it only gains the ability to run homebrew code

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When my ds lite was unflashed I managed to send a copy of The Brain Game demo via wifi using a DS with flashme. The Brain Game was on the supercard, I had no problems sending the demo.

skylerj

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.koopatorivm.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendofreak, I'm only going to refute you're logic. Tomobobo is saying that "a flashed DS cannot send some single-card wireless multiplayer games." You then say that's not true, but then say you have trouble sending New Super Mario Brothers. Therefore, you do indeed have trouble with some single-card wireless mutilplayer games with your flashed ds. The only question left is why, but you don't give any evidence to support your claim that the reason isn't because you flashed your ds. But answering the following questions might shed some light:
1) Did you try hosting a game using a NewSMB ROM with an unflashed ds but using a passkey. Did that work?
2) Did you try hosting a game using a NewSMB CART with a flashed ds. Did that work?
3) Did you try hosting a game using a NewSMB CART with an unflashed 100 percent stock ds? (This is a control to make sure the issue isn't interference where you were playing, or you were setting up the game wrong, or some other unknown factor).

I'm sorry for busting your balls, but I'm confused myself and need answers. Please see http://gbatemp.net/index.php?act=ST&f=27&t...ndpost&p=446730

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am afraid I am going to have to back nintendofreak up on this: it is your rom patcher that screws with download play and wifi, I have played games with all the combinations you can think of between passme,flashme and stock with real carts and roms and all combinations in between.
I have at least one example of every combination you can think of working.

Although if you are going to pull someone up on their grammar nintendofreak make sure you do it right:
"FlashMe doesnt cause problems with Wifi, illegal copies do"
You missed out the apostrophe in doesn't which should not even be there as this is a written piece of text rather than spoken word or a quote thereof.
Saying this I do not agree with the quote: illegal copies require at least some skill to use/obtain and I find that generally lowers the chance of you being a moron and ruining online play. I will conceed the point about a normal person who is just an idiot and "illegal user" with an aimbot and such.

meangreenie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
It's mixture of both theories I think.

For instance I can multiplayer 'single cart mode/download n play' in NSMB to a flashed DS no problem with my EZ4 or Supercard. This is with another flashed DS.

Apparently this is not possible when sending it to a un-flashed DS (I can't test this because all the ones I know are all flashed.. by me). But then some games do, I expect these ones were patched better.

The one I can't do in either mode (single cart\2 carts) multiplayer, is Brain Age Academy, I expect there are others that I never tried too.

It is a confusing matter, but the ball probably lies primarily in the patcher software's court.

knirfie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
@skylerj

2 - works
3 - works

Unfortunatly I don't have any device to use ROMS with (only have Movieplayer2 for homebrew). But I have tested a lot of orignal games with my flashed (don't know which FlashMe version) DSphatty and my unflashed DSL. The following games work both ways for me:

Bomberman
Mariokart
New Mario Bros
Ridge Racer
Sonic Rush
Tetris
Yoshi's Touch & Go

I haven't found any games that wouldn't work. If there is actually a problem with single-card, I think the problem lies with the ROM Hardware, and not the flashed/non-flashed DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse