flashing the xbox360 (benq)

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by godsakes, May 28, 2009.

May 28, 2009

flashing the xbox360 (benq) by godsakes at 8:53 PM (5,081 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. godsakes
    OP

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    while it's fresh in my mind i just want to place together a basic guide together on how to flash the 360 without using boot drives/discs - if only as a reminder for myself in the future but hopefully someone else might find it useful. Let me also thank the helpful members of GBAtemp who have so kindly pointed me in the right directions whenever i've needed it :-)

first things you need:

1. PC with internal sata port (ideally via chipset) & spare sata cable - fleabay sell these Sata VIA 6421A PCI cards inc sata cable for as little as £5 delivered
    2. xbox 360 opening kit - okay you don't strictly need these but given dealextreme sell these for about £2 delivered, there's no sense in making things hard for yourself
    3. xbox 360
    4. dosflash32 http://www.360mods.net/index.php?name=Down...tails&id=86
    5. firmtool http://www.360mods.net/index.php?name=Down...tails&id=71
    6. IXtreme firmware benq version (need to find this yourself, sorry)

steps:

1. install the sata PCI card & drivers - PS if you're running vista you might run into problems (like i did) right click on the setup and set the program to run in windows 98 compatiability
    2. open the 360 to gain access to the DVD drive (this vid will explain better then i can in writing http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=28...+360&hl=en)
    3. hookup a sata cable between your PCI card and the 360 dvd drive
    4. make sure the 360's video cable is plugged into the console (doesn't need to be plugged into TV) and power it up
    5. run Dosflash32 - note vista users might get the error message "can't install portio.sys driver" if so try the following:
    a) right click and run as admin (this might be enough)

b)Enter the following command in a Dos-Box: "bcdedit -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS"
    Press enter and reboot your PC
    Press F8 key upon initial system boot up
    Choose to disable forced driver signing enforcement for that boot session.
    finally run dosflash32 in admin mode

(dosflash32 might ask you to open the 360 DVD drive, then disconnect it's power, half close it then reconnect it's power - to bypass security, there's dispute as to whether you need to do this but there's no harm in doing it)
    6. look under the various ports to find your 360's DVD drive - remember it's a DVD-ROM drive and it's firmware size is 256kb (1st time i got mixed up with my PCs own DVD-RW drive and wondered why the firmware was 2mb)
    7. read flash - save as 'orig.bin'
    8. copy your newly dumped firmware (orig.bin) and the Ixtreme firmware (rename it to something simple like 'ix.bin') to your unzipped firmtool folder
    9. because we're going to use a command prompt soon, for typing ease copy your firmtool folder with program and firmwares to your c:\ (make sure the folder is named simply like 'firmtool' and not 'firmtool-ver.1.2blahblah')
    10. open a command prompt and type 'cd\' enter
    'cd firmtool' enter
    'firmtool orig.bin ix.bin' enter (edit as needed, basically firmtool will extract the drive key(s) from the oringal firmware and patch/personalise it to the hacked ixtreme firmware)
    11. write the newly patched 'ix' firmware to the 360 using dosflash32
    12. reassemble the 360 (don't forget to reattach the internal sata cable to the drive) and test on a burnt game

2. Chanser

Member Chanser :o

Macau
    Or just use JungleFlasher.

3. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    Agreed. Jungleflasher whips up the custom firmware bin in 2 clicks. I used to use the firmtool but JF makes it faster.

4. cardyology

Member cardyology GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Will this metho allow me to update a BENQ drive thats spoofed as lite-on? I wanna be at 1.6 fw..

5. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Guys im getting really upset with jungleflasher.

I got a BENQ drive spoofed as a lite on running ix1.4.

jungleflasher sees the drive, reads it fine & says its a Benq spoofed as liteon

I auto load the firmware when it prompts me to, check under the firmware too tab & it shows the same info in source & target.

So i go back to mtkflash 32, click write & it sticks on "writing bank 0" & jungleflasher crashes.

Im using latest jungleflasher & a VIA sata chipset. What am I missing??? DO i need to erase the drive before writing to it? Even tho its a BENQ?

6. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Guys im getting really upset with jungleflasher.

I got a BENQ drive spoofed as a lite on running ix1.4.

jungleflasher sees the drive, reads it fine & says its a Benq spoofed as liteon

I auto load the firmware when it prompts me to, check under the firmware too tab & it shows the same info in source & target.

So i go back to mtkflash 32, click write & it sticks on "writing bank 0" & jungleflasher crashes.

Im using latest jungleflasher & a VIA sata chipset. What am I missing??? DO i need to erase the drive before writing to it? Even tho its a BENQ?

EDIT: I resent the MKTflash intro thingy after setting up the source & target firmware & i got further, it got to writing bank 2 ..... & then crashed again, now JFlash wont even see my BENQ drive. Am i screwed??? I still have the Lite-on that was originally in my console.

7. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Did you put the drive in vendor mode? If you didn't, then it won't be able to write the firmware.

8. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Thx for reply mate. I wasnt putting it in vendor mode at first, thats why it was failing but when i did put it in Vendor mode, it wrote bank 0, bank 1 & then crashed half way through bank 2. Now JF wont see the drive..

9. cardyology

United Kingdom
    ok guys, i have my original liteon drive that came with the 360. I also have the dump of the BENQ ix1.4 firmware from my (now bricked I think) BENQ drive which was spoofed as liteon.

In Jungleflasher I can load the source firmwrae I read from the BENQ (BENQ-OFW.bin) it shows the DVD key & info which I am assuming will match the one from the liteon?

Im wondering, can i now use the BENQ-OFW.bin to create a hacked LITEON firmware, erase the lite on & write the newly made firmware back to the drive? Without using a connectivity kit of a probe??

Really need help with this guys, i shouldnt have messed about but I wanna play GH Metallica so i needed ix1.6! Wish i'd left it alone.

10. Scathraax

Member Scathraax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hm. This will come in handy, I'm sure.
    So, tag for when I get off work. [​IMG]

11. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    for the benq you wont need a spear, also i dont think you can brick a benq since you can always flash a new firmware over it.

if you still have your benq-orig file then flash that first, if the drive works again then just follow the tutorial from the jungleflasher.pdf file.

12. cardyology

United Kingdom
    I cant get the BENQ drive to show up in Jungleflasher now. just says no drive detected, thats why i'm assuming the BENQ drive is bricked.

I'll see if i can make it show up.

13. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Sorted it.

Loaded the ix 1.4 from the BENQ, wrote it into the lite on 1.6.bin & erased & flashed that to the liteon drive.

Seems to have worked, games boot up fine with the lite-on drive back in the 360.

14. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Sorted it.

Loaded the ix 1.4 from the BENQ, wrote it into the lite on 1.6.bin & erased & flashed that to the liteon drive.

Seems to have worked, games boot up fine with the lite-on drive back in the 360.

15. cardyology

United Kingdom
    Sorted it.