Flashing my 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by ekolimits, Feb 19, 2009.

Feb 19, 2009

Flashing my 360 by ekolimits at 2:49 PM (968 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. ekolimits
    OP

Member ekolimits GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I want to flash my 360 but i just want to ask...
    if i dont play burned and stealthed games online, will that lower my chances of getting banned?
    I would only play single player games and stuff...
    or would that not even make a difference?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Regarding banning nobody really knows how it works.
    We suspect several factors including
    Bad burns of games
    Bad dumps of games (some of the "early" (as in before release dates) releases are supposed to be bad but being early we can not really tell)
    Playing games online before release dates possibly (some early releases can be demo/review copies and if you are not registered as a reviewer......
    Some have cast doubt on some of the modding methods (the xbox can tell if you power it without a drive connected as you might have to, realistically there is no reason to have it out other than to mod it). As an aside some have also questioned the third party drives (user made ones) using the key floating around the internet but I have nothing on this other than speculation.
    The firmware itself is unlikely to be detected and indeed there would be far more problems if it could (people often point at the PC for high "piracy" rates and assume the consoles are exempt, I consider them delusional).

The "what causes bans" area is little more than rampant speculation most of the time though so I would not read much into it. If I were MS I would randomly ban rule breakers to cause just this situation too.
    Some fear it, some accept it and if they care they just buy another xbox. Personally I do not care about live (paying for online play is not on in my world).
    You can unban an xbox (if it is a homebrew capable one) but it requires one that is not banned and will take some serious effort to do.

Some things you can do:
    bad dumps and burns can be helped by dumping your own games (a good method will work, do it twice or more and then run a compare on the dumps and as errors should be random....). Scene releases are usually good though, p2p ones are not bad either but tend to have a higher incidence of bad dumps).

3. ekolimits
    OP

United States
    so if i flash my 260 but only play bought games on live (since it can not be a bad dump) i will not get caught?
    plus does the 360 keep like a log of the games i play and possibly detect bad dumps while not on live?

EDIT: plus what about installing games to the hard drive? can i then use a backup to run the game or can i even use a backup to install the game?

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Games to drive: to my knowledge there is no way to play copies from the drive (even with the new dashboard) without the disc in the drive (although naturally this can be a copy).

Some advocate your "online real games only" idea but frankly we have no idea how MS does things and I am entirely open to the possibility of a list of games/data being sent ahead of time. Some have analysed the data sent before an update but as I said if it were me I would send the data ahead of time encrypted during regular use/play.
    The general consensus is play games that you know are good (either because you ripped them yourself and confirmed a good rip or you download a known good rip) at both the ripping and burning stage, flash using a good method and banning is not something you will face.

5. ekolimits
    OP

United States
    ok so to my understanding...
    you dont get banned from live for flashing your drive... you get banned for playing backups on your drive right...
    and they catch you through bad burns or bad rips... that would give it away that you are playing a copied game...

so if i flash and play regular games they should really do nothing to me...
    it is when i start playing burned games that they can ban me...

am i correct in assuming that the act of flashing your drive is not a reason to get banned
    but the act of playing burned backups is...

6. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
    All of what you said is correct. BUT, the act of flashing your drive IS a reason to get banned lol. BUT, the only way they would even know your drive was flashed is because of a badly patched game.

7. ekolimits
    OP

United States
    so playing regular games will not get me banned right? if i have my 360 drive flashed that is...

8. War

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Here's the staple comment for these kinds of threads:

No one really knows how MS bans flashed drives.

Some people say think it's caused by playing bad burns, other believe it's by playing early copies, etc. Personally, I believe that if you flash your drive at all, you are already at a big risk of getting banned.

9. EarthBound

Member EarthBound a/s/l?

United States
    Just make sure you get games from good sources. Blackcats,usenet,etc.
    Dont go online with the game when it leaks a week+ ahead of time. Wonder if anybody will get banned from Halo Wars lol...