Flashing games onto Bootlegs?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by sweis12, Aug 17, 2014.

1. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I have a few boot leg games ( Pokemon Naraja, Pokemon Shiny Gold) and I was wondering if there is any way to flash different games onto these carts? If the Chinese companies can flash it there has to be a way. The only reason I wanna do this is because when I dumped the rom of naranja I released it was a 32mb rom, and that would be enough for almost any GBA game or homebrew.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The chips on-board those bootlegs are read-only, there's no practical way for you to re-write the image. What you could do would be getting a compatible FLASH memory chip and replacing the on-board one. Depending on the PCB you have, you may or may not be able to replace it (if you see a big black blob and it's not on a separate PCB, forget about it).

Useful resource: http://reinerziegler.de/GBA/gba.htm
    You could work with that bootleg on the right, that memory should be easy to desolder
    This bootleg on the right is a no-go

3. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    GBA games have no set size, that means many newer dumping tools will default to 32 megs.

What Foxi4 said for the most part. however some non fake bootlegs (like some of the hacks you have there) were flashed onto EZFlash 3 in 1 flash carts. Some were flashed straight and had a label added, others had write protect/enable/disable pins fiddled with to prevent overwriting.
    Edit. Looks like you don't have a 3 in 1. Back to figuring out what you might have.

5. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Also, one more thing to note about these. When I dumped the rom, it corrupted the save file for some reason?

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You could totally work with the carts you have (I can't read the designation on the right chips, if they're the main storage then they're workable, if they're the chips for saves then they aren't) but you'd need a compatible FLASH chip, a thin-tipped soldering iron, the basic soldering necessities and a lot of patience. You'd also need to construct a flasher for your new creation.

7. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Would I just be better off getting an EZ Flash IV?

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That depends. If you're willing to spend money on all the necessary components and make a cart that only stores a few games (assuming you make your own MultiROM's) and is nowhere near as nice as a commercial flashcart just for the fun of the project, go for it. If you just want a working flashcart then you're better off buying one.

9. sweis12
    OP

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Yeah, I am really into the fun of the projects. Me and my dad made a GBC flashcart a few months ago. It worked perfectly and it was really fun to make.

10. Monty Kensicle

Monty Kensicle Yay!

Aug 4, 2008
    United States
    Commonwealth of Virginia

Is that Castlevania bootleg using battery backed SRAM for the save file?

11. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    All pirated GBA games use SRAM patched ROMs, so yeah, they're all battery backed