Flashing an Arduino using a Top3000? Need it to build my own Snes to Gamecube adapter!

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Guys I know you are into software more than hardware, but here is my story!

Since march this year 2020 I have been trying to buy a Snes to Gamecube controller adapter from Raphnet. This is to play my GBA games on the Gameboy Player/Gamecube using an original SNES controller!!

I am from Chile, but still Raphael (Raphnet) was willing to sell me an adapter. He did in march, but after 3 weeks we was sent my product back to him. It was Virus time!! So I suck it up. Then he tried once more, but couldn't, because Canada simply isn't shipping to my country anymore because of the damn virus circus.

So... I opened a post to buy an adapter here on GBAtemp, to buy from someone from the USA, because the USA "is" shipping to my country Chile (only Canada isn't). But no one cared for my desperate struggle.

So now I will build an adapter myself, and I found a German guy who built his own using an Arduino Mini board, Atmel128p to be more precise.

BUT, you have to flash this chip, and I have no idea of what to use to do this! So... I thought of my brother's flashing tool called the Top3000, where I have flashed Snes games (I actually built my own Star Fox 2 if anyone is interested).

Could I flash the Arduino Mini using such a tool? Please guys I need someone to lead me in the right direction, thank you all! I will do this though, I will achieve it!

Thank you guys!

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Usually I just use arduino IDE:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/main/software

Otherwise the only other way I know of to flash is via an ISP programmer, but I’ve never done this TO an arduino (just using one to flash my 3D printer).

OK but how do I do that hardware wise? I don't see any USB or any conector to connect the Arduino to? This is the one I will be getting for the mod:
Hf391a6a1c30b443387b49dd25744b81fp.jpg

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Here’s the instructions from arduino:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoMini

edit:

Just realised it's a different micro controller, but the concept would be the same.

edit2:

Do you have a source for your purchase? I just checked and for the 'Mini' it's only showing the Atmega328p and Atmega168 in Arduino IDE.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: IC_

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

edit:

Just realised it's a different micro controller, but the concept would be the same.

edit2:

Do you have a source for your purchase? I just checked and for the 'Mini' it's only showing the Atmega328p and Atmega168 in Arduino IDE.

All I could find with some degree of coherence is this: "TX/RX. These pins are used both for uploading new sketches to the board and communicating with a computer or other device."

Now the pictures they show, show a USB type of adapter connected to the Arduino Mini using a breadboard, without mentioning any of the soldering details and wich points go to wich points in the two circuits.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

edit:

edit2:

Yes it can also be the Atmega328p

You need a serial to USB converter for it, if you're searching for them in some online store you should find those converters too

Something like this?:
modulo-convertidor-usb-a-ttl-D_NQ_NP_620120-MLC32779880715_112019-F.png

Last edited by nashismo,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
All I could find with some degree of coherence is this: "TX/RX. These pins are used both for uploading new sketches to the board and communicating with a computer or other device."

Now the pictures they show, show a USB type of adapter connected to the Arduino Mini using a breadboard, without mentioning any of the soldering details and wich points go to wich points in the two circuits.

Yes it can also be the Atmega328p

Something like this?: View attachment 214779
Yeah something like this, just make sure it's compatible with the arduino you're getting or get one that's sold together with it

Reactions: nashismo

nashismo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
You need a CH340 or FTDI to serial usb programmer, or an arduino uno. Use arduino software to write and upload code .instructables.com has several good tutorials. This is exactly what you will be doing. https://www.instructables.com/id/Program-Arduino-Mini-05-with-FTDI-Basic/

Thank you very much JRobert! If all goes well, I will be opening a post to the "How to" make the Snes to Gamecube adapter in the future. Thanks everyone for your precious time and knowledge :yay:

Last edited by nashismo,
Reactions: IC_

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.