shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I plan on getting another Nintendo DS unit. This one is going to be flashed (I will have one unflashed unit just in case). Now here is the issue. I tend to have shaky hands. Especially when I am nervous. I had ruined one Playstation 2 due to my hands. Now here is my question. Would I have better luck flashing an older Nintendo DS or a Nintendo DS Lite that has the weird issue with the SL1 contact?

I'm actually kinda worried that I will lose contact with SL1 part way through the install and end up with a $130 brick. On that note though I would be more than willing to drop $100 for a pre-owned Nintendo DS "Phat" that I knew was going to flash successfully no matter what happened short of powering off or losing power during the flashing process.... Don't worry but plugging the AC adapter in will be part of the game plan for the flash.

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
DS Phat. The DSL does not have a seperator between the SL1 and...the other one...

As far as the shaky hands, as long as you use something like the foil/toothpick trick, you'll be good.

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have flash over 50 units of NDSL and over 200 NDS for my forum freinds, all success, Good Luck

for your information:

1. using a good tools for short the SL1
2. do not turn off your NDSL beofre 1% because safe mode will be installed at the first block of yr firmware
3. if u really very lucky that u turn off at 0% anc can not turn it on anymore, there are still some solution for yr DSL

shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
For the NDSL: Any surefire tool that will prevent the power-off issue from occuring? This is the issue where for some reason repeat shorts of SL1 will result in the NDSL being turned off. I found a thread about it over in scdev.org. Apparently you can check for this by repeatedly shorting SL1 without ever starting the flashing process (e.g. do it at the main screen where pictochat and stuff is at). I did this and it shut off at random points. It may of done it at the first hit or it may of done it at the 4th hit. Or any number in between. Kinda random eh?

On the NDS "phat": Anything I should look out for when I go to flash it? Any objects that shouldn't be shorted that I could accidentally hit?

EDIT: Topic over at scdev.org -- http://scdev.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4339

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm also looking to flash my (phat) DS. But I don't want to mess it up...

My brother is now looking for a M3 Lite. He doesn't want to pay much for a flashcard, but he wanted GBA. That actually... contradicts
tongue.gif
But now he wants a M3 Lite for €60,-. That's his border. A passcard is too expansive
tongue.gif

This is my chance to flash his DS...

bennydigital

Trophies
Website
n
XP
Country
United States
flash the NDSL use a toothpick with foil wrapped around it then put tape around that untill it fits in the hold nice an tight and shakey hands wont matter my hands were shaking because I was scared of FN' it up but now that I look back it was easy.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
Best tool ever:

Take a cotton swab and cut off the end
Take a tiny amount of aluminum foil and shove it inside the hole
Make sure the foil covers the tip but doesn't wrap around it

100% foolproof and you never lose contact with the pad!

Darkspark

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I use those little screw drivers you use to open the battery case with.

It takes longer, as you have to make contact just right and keep it there, but it works well.

Just ensure you give yourself ample time, and ensure you aren't disturbed by somebody asking you to do another job or something. Nothing else happens until you get your DS to 100%. Nothing!

shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Aw shucks, if you guys were in Canada I could have just flashed your DS's for free...

Could you flash mine for me please? I can pay shipping both ways for you and maybe even throw in something extra for doing it for me.
wink.gif
I'm located in Pennsylvania, USA but shipping both ways is no problem for me. I'll just setup for a UPS shipment to you with a pre-paid return label packaged in the box for you to use for the return run.

EDIT: If you can promise me that you can actually do this without bricking a NDS Lite then I will be more than willing to ship you a brand new black NDS Lite unopened to flash for me. Just pack it back up in the box when it is returned.
wink.gif

ahtin

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Aw shucks, if you guys were in Canada I could have just flashed your DS's for free...

Could you flash mine for me please? I can pay shipping both ways for you and maybe even throw in something extra for doing it for me.
wink.gif
I'm located in Pennsylvania, USA but shipping both ways is no problem for me. I'll just setup for a UPS shipment to you with a pre-paid return label packaged in the box for you to use for the return run.

EDIT: If you can promise me that you can actually do this without bricking a NDS Lite then I will be more than willing to ship you a brand new black NDS Lite unopened to flash for me. Just pack it back up in the box when it is returned.
wink.gif

flashing a NDSL is not a terriable job, if u really afraid that, u can short yr SL1 just like mod a Wii b4 flashing, this is a 100% work for flashing a NDSL

shinji257

OP
Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Actually I have both a slot-1 and a slot-2 unit. But I do have my reasons for doing this. Among them is the bricker scenario like The Last Spartian has already stated

4saken said:
It also allows you to accept and run download play off most flashcards (r4 is not one of them)

Just curious as to where they have said that flashme will not resolve download play issues from flashcarts. Not that it is important to me but I am curious.

EDIT: nevermind. I found several threads on the r4ds forums at r4ds.net state that flashme doesn't help with download play on the r4ds. If I ever get serious about download play for a game then I will probably either get the real game (which I would probably already have if I liked it enough) or get a DS-X which has perfect download play support. But that really was a moot point and download play was never really a reason for me to do this.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States

wink.gif

wink.gif

I live in the US and I can do it for you (cheaper shipping).
Here's a video of me doing mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1OvPFtSZcM

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."