Flashcarts VS. Real Carts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by golden, Jul 26, 2008.

Jul 26, 2008

Flashcarts VS. Real Carts by golden at 4:53 AM (4,640 Views / 0 Likes) 55 replies

1. golden
    OP

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Now before I try to open this to discussion I would like to say that let's keep the morals of pirating out of this. Don't try to say that it is more honest to have the actual cart argument because that has been done to death. I want to here what else you guys have to say.

So anyway, flashcarts, as of the slot 1 era, are so great in my opinion that I really would say they are 100x better than the actual cartridge. Why? You can have multiple save files, manage all of them via computer, use it for media, have cheats in a VERY ORGANIZED and easy to use manner which FAR exceeds action replay(thanks to narin and all the cheat database people), and last but not least, THE PRICE!!! This is truly embarrassing for nintendo because a good flash cart these days is LESS THAN AN ACTUAL DS GAME CART!. ROFL All of these and much more make having a flash cart so much better than having the actual cart.

So the question that it all comes down to is, what would you personally want nintendo to offer that can only be experienced via having only the original game cartridge and not the copy of the ROM for you to put down your flash cart for playing games and go out and always buy the games? Is it the price? Is it something else? Share. I want to here what people think. Keep it clean. [​IMG]

2. genuisgeek

Member genuisgeek GBAtemp Regular

United States
    personally i think flashcarts make things a whole lot easier and not to mention organization price etc.
    also along with better application ppl wished the ds came with(mediaplayer, internet)

real carts look cool cuz u get the feeling of having a game cart which too me feels awesome

but i think a great thing nintendo should have done wat allow a ds cart to be made w/ the microsd idea and all that and allow downloads on their site for some special promos,demos, games

and the nintendo endorsed ds cart would allow players to buy the game same price in a file format but encrypted with a password(similar to iTunes store downloads) this way the file would be nondistributable but maintain revenue and interest in the game

although yea that idea has flaws but brings a new idea to gaming similar to Wii Channels

3. Raestloz

Member Raestloz GBATemp's Lone Wolf

Indonesia
    I think the best Nintendo can offer for having the original cart is, the bonus contained within the game box! Yeah, nothing more. Flashcarts can do anything an original cart can. Download Play, WFC, everything Nintendo has to offer. Nothing Nintendo can do about it. ROMs are backups, whatever they do, ROMs will contain everything within an original cart

4. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    They're more convenient and in the long run, will save you lots of money.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    IMO, there is one main disadvantage to flashcarts: pirate syndrome. I don't finish games nearly as often as I did when I had to buy them, and I'm a lot less likely to put in the time needed to get into a game that doesn't grab me immediately. It's just too distracting having 20 other DS games, 50 GBA games and 2,000 retro games (and their emulators) on the cart.

6. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    QFT

I would rather have every game and it's box than use a flashcart (but I am a cheap bastard). I like having a game, a box, and a manual. It feels good man that way. I don't use cheats or multiple saves anyways

7. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    Really good point Destructobot.

But since I'm a cheapass on a reeeeeeaaaaaally tight budget I had to get a flashcart

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Same here. Also, like science, I really like having the boxes and booklets. I may be in the minority here, but I don't think I ever played a game I bought until I had read at least part of the manual.

Beyond everything else though, I would never stop using flashcarts altogether simply because of undubbed roms. You cannot possibly know how much I hate dubbed vocals.

9. papyrus

Member papyrus GBAtemp Fan

Philippines
    . If i were to choose game carts is the best way to play a game. I don't know why but i guess playing it in the original cart seems to be more fulfilling, because of that pirate syndrome. But i use flashcart now because of money issues. Also buying the original will support the game makers to make more games.

10. golden
    OP

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    Ya, I completely agree with you. The "pirate syndrome" you mentioned is the most valid point I have heard regarding flash carts. I just became interested in "The World Ends With You" so I got it off the web and my main concern is that I won't be able to finish it since it is an RPG that requires time and thought to enjoy. I will probably be detracted by my other games and whatnot.

11. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Agreeed
    I've beaten all my GBA games (before I had a flashcart)
    Now on my NDS I still have 5 Games i need get through
    1st being Mario and Luigi Partners in time [​IMG]

12. wchill

Member wchill Resident chillxpert

United States
    I normally focus on one GBA game at a time thanks to the EZFlash 3-in-1 not having a loader.
    But it's awkward playing the patched version of WarioWare: Twisted! and other games requiring additional hardware.

13. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    what? you expect someone to stick up for original carts?

14. ben_not_benny

Member ben_not_benny GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    When I spend money to buy a game for my GBA I'd take some time to do some research before buying it and play it over and over. Now that I have a flashcart for my DS I saved a lot of money, but now it's more like "play -> sucks/boring -> delete" instead of play -> keep playing even if it sucks (you paid for it so don't let it waste, it's not like everyday you get a new game). Plus, when I actually spend money I would remember them well. I own and played 25 GBA real games and remember every single one of them, all the good times, bad times and the fun. I have 25 DS games on a flashcart and I haven't even touched some of them. I had Nintendogs on my flashcart for like 6 months and haven't touched it, I would never do that if I bought the actual game.

The only real DS game I have is that Metroid demo that came with my DS... sad isn't it?

15. Raestloz

Indonesia
    At lest with flashcarts we can enjoy patches made by our good community [​IMG]

You'll never be able to find English version of Soma Bringer for example

16. sfunk

Member sfunk GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Man, I recently replayed Dawn of Sorrow on my flashcart; a game which I had purchased when it first came out. I was so fucking sick of harvesting souls souls that I became tempted to cheat in order to get them all. I managed to stop myself though, by remembering how much time I spent getting them before I had access to cheats. I guess what I'm trying to say is that on actual cartridges you appreciate the game for how it was supposed to be played by the developer as opposed to what's more convenient for you.

That being I still buy a great majority off the games that I do like. I now use a flashcart as a means of convenience, although when I'm low on funds I don't hesitate to use it to play games I can't afford. Plus, like Destructobot and science I love having the manuals to read and the boxes to look at, all lined up on my shelf.

17. Raestloz

Indonesia
    Yeah, it feels "right" when you own an original cartridge and gameboxes [​IMG]

18. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    The biggest advantage to me is having the games earlier. Sometimes a whole lot earlier!

19. undercarris

Newcomer undercarris Advanced Member

United States

actually i think ez flash 3 in 1 can now have many games in it xD... at least there is a beta in the forum that let you do that ... xD... i have not test it because i dont have a ez flash 3-in-1 Dx
    http://ezflash.sosuke.com/viewforum.php?f=...da86bb076498339

20. nekra

Newcomer nekra Member

United States
    I bought a flashcart (CycloDS) because it's more convenient than carrying around several original carts. Also, because of the ability to transfer saves to a computer and the ability to quickly swap between games without having to power off.

RTS for Phantom Hourglass is horribly broken. I don't even bother using it (or any of the other features of the device, like cheats) as a result.

An added bonus that I've noticed is that save operations in games such as The World Ends With You take noticeably less time on the flashcart in comparison to the original cart.