FlashCart Savegames - portability

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by celentt, Apr 4, 2007.

Apr 4, 2007
  1. celentt
    OP

Member celentt GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    with more M3 DS Real news coming out, I was just wondering if savegames would be easily ported between different brands / models. Are you sort of stuck with a Supercard Lite / M3 Simply if you don't want to lose all your save data?

Just want to know before I start more long term games like Pokemon etc.

2. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    There are such things as save converters. Whether they support all types of saves, I do not know. But you can easily switch between the large brand names (most use the same general save type as well)

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Most saves are RAW saves (Supercard, EZFlash and G6 (g6 uses .0 , .01 .... instead .sav though): 256 kilobyte saves (even for games will smaller saves) except for large games like pokemon which use 512kilobyte saves.
    The R4 and such use 512 kilobytes all the time though (still RAW underneath it all).

The m3 uses a slightly tweaked save and the DSX uses compressed saves (it can accept RAW saves of I recall though).

A save converter (one of many)
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=45198

In short you can use saves from just about every cart with every other if you are willing to put 10 seconds into converting and renaming.

4. celentt
    OP

Member celentt GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Cool, thanks for the info guys