Flashcart for snes with enhancement chip support?

kutteke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi I'm wondering if there are any flashcarts for the Snes wich support EC games (megaman x, mario kart, star fox).

If there are any please let me know I lost some of my old games and really want to replay these gems from when I was little.

thx a lot guys!

D

Deleted User

Different games used different enhancement chips and it would probably be difficult to put them all in one cart and automatically pick the right one for each game.
Best thing I can think of is one that comes with swappable enhancement chips, or a different cart containing each chip. Dunno if any of those exist.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SD2SNES supports some, but not all, of the enhancement chips. You can play the megaman X series with it (CX4 supported). You can play mario kart with it (DSP-1 supported). You cannot play Star Fox with it (SuperFX not supported).

The biggest holes still left for the SD2SNES are SuperFX (StarFox, Yoshi's Island, etc) and SA1 (Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star). Some games are playable via IPS patches (Star Ocean and others) even though the retail cart used one of the currently unsupported chips.

In theory, it is possible for SD2SNES to end up supporting all of the enhancement chips, if someone put the work into programming to FPGA to emulate the remaining unsupported chips. I'm really hoping that SA1 and SuperFX get fixed someday, but not holding my breath. And after all, that's only a few games I want to be able to play, vs. hundreds that work just fine on the SD2SNES.

Downside to the SD2SNES is price. There are cheaper options that simply do not attempt to support the enhancement chips.

Some reading:

http://gbatemp.net/review/sd2snes.188/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips

Reactions: kutteke

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that for as expensive as that SD2SNES is, it doesn't support the most high profile games, and the games that are so unfairly rare to get a hold of anymore, so if it can't support those games, it pretty much kills any incentive for people like me to get one at all.

kutteke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
went with a super ufo pro 8, i'm happy about it. it plays a lot of games and even the satellaview library. Can't complain since i got it used (rarely used in box) for about half the price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: since you guys are so horny, who's up for smash or pass?