Flashcart for GB Micro

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by deepee, Mar 26, 2007.

Mar 26, 2007

Flashcart for GB Micro by deepee at 6:18 PM (5,969 Views / 0 Likes) 41 replies

1. deepee
    OP

Newcomer deepee Member

United States
    So, I know I'm a bit late to on buying a GB Micro but I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. I did a search and I know it has been addressed numerous times on these forums but all of the posts regarding the Micro are about 6 months old and I was wondering if the products have changed since I'm having trouble finding one.

So, anyhow..
    I have a GB Micro coming to me in the mail and I want to buy a Flash Cart for it.
    Gameboy-Advance.net lists the EFA Linker II to be the best for the Micro.

http://www.gameboy-advance.net/gba-flash/gbm-micro.htm

However, I can't find anywhere to purchase it. The site linked on gb-a.net (Jandaman) no longer carries it and another Canadian site I found even had a negative quantity. [​IMG]

Is this the cart I should be looking for to use with a Micro?

Is it even possible for me to get one now?

Thanks.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    There is a very similar thread:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46443&st=0
    EZFA2 wise, I would not do it as the more modern carts sport equal if not higher compatibility and more space.

Bear in DS lite sized models can be used simply by modding the case.

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    it's very hard to find the older flash carts on sale anymore your best bet is the EZ flash 4 mini SD you will need to buy a separate miniSD memory card for the flash cart to work, if you are looking for something more expensive (without buying a extra memory card on top of the flash cart you are buying) go for a G6 lite it has a gba adapter so you can put it in you gameboy micro

here is a example of the G6lite menu system on a gameboy micro
    [​IMG]

if you want to discuss more about any flash carts please join this topic:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=46443&st=30

4. deepee
    OP

Newcomer deepee Member

United States
    Thanks for the replies. I'll be reading that thread and posting in it if I have more questions.

5. ConraDargo

Member ConraDargo Flashback Fanatic

Sweden
    I have a Micro myself and am using a 512MB EFA Linker. Works flawlessly [​IMG]

Here it is

6. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    The EFA Linker is a brilliant GBA flash cart, but beware if your motherboard has an nforce chipset. It won't work at all on nforce boards.

I have to use a PCI USB card just to flash my EFA. [​IMG]

7. pristinemog

Member pristinemog GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I agree with these two. The ExtremeFlashAdvance is a great card. Never had a single problem with any ROM on it. I have the 256Mb version though, since that's all I needed as that's the largest any GBA game is.

8. deepee
    OP

Newcomer deepee Member

United States
    I have an nforce chipset so I suppose I won't be getting that.

Also, I'm in the U.S. and the price of that card plus shipping is $115. A bit over my budget.

I read the other thread and I think I've decided on the EZF4.

I just have a few questions.

Does the cart stick out at all if I use it with a GB Micro?

Which version should I be getting and from what website (shipping to US)?

Thanks.

edit:
    Is there a reason the EZF5 hasn't been recommended?

9. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    good choice on getting the EZ flash 4 mini SD i hope you remembered to buy a mini SD memory card as the flash cart will not run without it, the card you will be buying is the exact replica of a normal gba flashcart, there is no difference, the version you need to get is the mini SD version, all other versions will not work with the gb micro due to the size of the other variations of this flash cart. (designed to fit only in a DS lite's slot 2)

here is a picture of the EZ flash 4 mini SD
    [​IMG]
    that is the one you need to look for.

here is a comparison size to other flash carts:
    [​IMG]
    note on the top right hand corner the lite version? and the size of it compared to the mini SD version (bottom right)? on the top left is the DS lite dust cover that is the size of the lite version, and this is why it will not fit in the micro, i just want to make that clear so you don't feel disappointed if you buy the wrong one lol check out gameyeeeah they are pretty decent with prices

you can buy the EZ flash mini SD from here @ $36.90:
    http://www.gameyeeeah.com/ezflash-iv-minisd-p-55.html
    you can buy the mini SD from them, scandisc 1gb $29 or the 512mb $20 i would recommend you buy the memory cheaper from amazon or something, just search around on google.

10. deepee
    OP

Newcomer deepee Member

United States
    I had thought that the EZF4 came with one of those adapters to make the Lite version work with a GBA or DS Phat. Is that just the G6 that provides that?

Also, thanks for the info.

11. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    the EZF4 lite does not come with a adapter, what you see in this review here:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36216

is what you get, the G6 lite provides a normal gba casing to fit in your gameboy micro shown here in this review:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=37100

12. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    It seems it is all said and done now but the adapter you may have seen was the EZMugen which never saw release.

This being said I have used an EZ4lite as my main GBA/DS card for ages now, I made a new case but it is probably easier to mod or repurpose an official one.

13. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    The EZ-Flash IV Lite you see on the picture from jalaneme actually does fit in the GBA Micro I've heard. But it doesn't in the GBA Normal / GBA SP and well, it leaves some space open and is harder to take out etc. And on top of that, they don't sell those anymore anyway. The EZ IV Lite Deluxe / Compact don't fit in the Micro anymore.

No reason to go for a lite one anyway, as EZ-IV MiniSD fits in the Micro perfectly. Does not stick out at all and MiniSD's are cheaper then MicroSD's anyway.
    So just go for the MiniSD version. I've got mine from here, but note that you don't get boxes with it and such.
    Don't get your MiniSD's there though, the shipping costs will be almost higher then the product's cost... Don't care for the brand also, it doesn't mather with EZ4

For the question why EZ Flash V wasn't recommended, well that one looks like [​IMG] and sticking ds cartridges in your gba micro will not work that well... [​IMG]

14. Shinji

Member Shinji ҉҉ ҉҉

United States
    Another old fashioned 512 EFA-Linker here. Never upgraded to the NDS EFA-II and darn proud of it. I just happened to get a Micro last week as well. I've thought about getting rid of my EFA and getting a GBA case for my M3L Perfect since I now have R4...woah, too many flashcarts/cards... :wtf:

15. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    thats new to me, when did you hear this? do you have any pictures of it working in a gb micro?

eww thats gross, you have to open up the the EZ flash 4 lite every time you want to upload a new rom 0_o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uHszOr2n28
    very unpractical.

16. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    Man, I was in the same predicament just weeks ago!

I decided to get an EZ3, just gecause I had RTC support. I bought it from Jandaman, great store!

Thinking about it perhaps I should have gone with the G6, since I payed 77 for the EZ3 1G cart.

Gameyeeeeah.com sells the 1G G6 for 85, but the shipping costs 20USD. Is there any other place I can find it cheaper?

Thanks

17. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I use m3 minisd with 1gb minisd card, fits perfect in both GB micro and normal GBA and doesnt stick out.

18. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    yes, ages ago i was was deciding on getting the EZ flash III from that website but i backed out at the last minuite, and now that i've brought a G6 lite i think it's great value for money with what you get and on top of that you get much more memory than the EZ flash III.

19. VVoltz

Member VVoltz The Pirate Lord

Bolivia
    I see that now. I would have been better to go with a G6, because the plastic covers, and the 3 extra Gigabits.
    Mmmm... perhaps I will sell my almost unused EZ3, but I don't think I can get my 77USD back. And the G6 costs more that 100USD!!! (on GameYeeeah.com+shipping).
    What really bothered my about the EZ3 is its buggy installation of the PC applications AND the fact that I can't flash The Justice League Heroes: The Flash game to the cart!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Still, other than that it works kinda OK with my new GB micro.

20. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    and that was the other thing that put me off the EZ flash III the gba support wasn't that good, there are some on screen glitches with games, i don't know how much that has improved with latest firmware though. and i wasn't too keen on the client either, it's up to you really, because i brought my G6 lite from realhotstuff for $87.99 and shipping $13.00= $100.99 it works out much cheaper for me as when it converts to pounds the price goes down a lot [​IMG] so for me i brought the G6 lite for £50 pounds.