Hacking Flashcart for DSi XL and 3DS?

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a DSi XL that was given to me as a gift. I don't have a 3DS yet. Right now my flashcarts are the Edge DS and Acekard 2.1 (Non i version). Both cards don't work on the DSi. I was looking into getting a Supercard DS2+ for my DSi but I also wan't something thats "future proof" in case I get a 3DS in the future.

What card should I get? I see a Supercard DS2+ and a Sky 3DS Plus online somewhere thinking about just getting one of those. The Suipercard is $30 and the Sky 3DS is $50. What does the Sky do that makes it 20 more than the Supercard?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You will probably want one that will let you install CFW. Choose from one mentioned in https://3ds.guide/ntrboot. They will all be able to play DS games after using them for ntrboot then flashing back.

Sky3DS lets you play 3DS roms, but this is entirely useless because you can achieve the same plus a lot more by installing CFW and it costs a lot less (you can get a compatible DS flashcart for like $10).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will probably want one that will let you install CFW. Choose from one mentioned in https://3ds.guide/ntrboot. They will all be able to play DS games after using them for ntrboot then flashing back.

Sky3DS lets you play 3DS roms, but this is entirely useless because you can achieve the same plus a lot more by installing CFW and it costs a lot less (you can get a compatible DS flashcart for like $10).

Oh okay cool. Thanks a lot for this. Also Idk if its possible but I heard flash carts are now able to play GBA games on DSi XL. Doany of those cards let you do it? Or is that something where I'd need to look at a different type of card for?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Oh okay cool. Thanks a lot for this. Also Idk if its possible but I heard flash carts are now able to play GBA games on DSi XL. Doany of those cards let you do it? Or is that something where I'd need to look at a different type of card for?
Only the DSTwo can play GBA games, but again this isn't useful because if you have CFW you can install GBA games to your home menu with VC injects.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys for the help. I'm starting to understand now. I think I made a dumb mistake though. I was worried the supercard would go out of sale on ebay so I bought the DS2+ for $30.

But from what I understand now, basically what I should have done is gotten a DS flashcart that lets me install ntrboot and cfw on my DSi XL? Then I'd be able to play GBA games natively from the DSi and also use the same flashcart for all of my DS games etc.?

For some reason I was thinking that CFW was only installable on the 3DS and that I needed a flashcart for the DSi

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys for the help. I'm starting to understand now. I think I made a dumb mistake though. I was worried the supercard would go out of sale on ebay so I bought the DS2+ for $30.

But from what I understand now, basically what I should have done is gotten a DS flashcart that lets me install ntrboot and cfw on my DSi XL? Then I'd be able to play GBA games natively from the DSi and also use the same flashcart for all of my DS games etc.?

For some reason I was thinking that CFW was only installable on the 3DS and that I needed a flashcart for the DSi

The SCDS2+ Is the best cart for a DSi. And 30 is a good deal. Worry about the rest later whenever you get a 3ds.

Reactions: Technicmaster0

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks. A question about the GBA support, is it good? I've heard that GBA support is hit or miss on DSi

Mark2333

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Where do you get the dstwo?

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought it off an ebay listing.

So far I'm liking the DS Two Plus. For GBA games though, most of them run at only 30fps. So I have to enable frameskipping. I'm wondering if that is normal. I guess the DSi is not strong enough to run them full speed since its through emulation?

I may get a 3DS from Gamestop today since its 79.99. It's going to be the original model. I hope it works on that too lol

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So far I'm liking the DS Two Plus
i would like a link (assuming the seller has more) i want to buy another one myself
For GBA games though, most of them run at only 30fps. So I have to enable frameskipping. I'm wondering if that is normal.
yes
I guess the DSi is not strong enough to run them full speed since its through emulation?
its not in fact the scds2 has its own cpu that it uses to emulate gba and snes
I may get a 3DS from Gamestop today since its 79.99. It's going to be the original model. I hope it works on that too lol
it will

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow it will?! What if the 3DS has already been updated to the latest firmware will it still work? If it will then that might be the push I need to go and get it. I was thinking that if I buy the 3DS I'd need a new flashcart or buy games separately for it as well so thats why I was hesitant.

Thanks for all the quick info btw. Really appreciate it

As far as the supercard, The one that I bought is sold out now I think the person selling it had just one. this was the listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperCard-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow it will?! What if the 3DS has already been updated to the latest firmware will it still work?
it definitely will work

Thanks for all the quick info btw. Really appreciate it
no problem
As far as the supercard, The one that I bought is sold out now I think the person selling it had just one. this was the listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/SuperCard-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
that makes me sad . . . if you are interested i have a few items i could offer you in exchange for that scds2 (including ntrboot compatible flashcards / sd+microsd cards / sky3ds /steam keys / a small selection of ps4 games / or i could pay-pal you some cash) if interested pm me

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You should trade with wormdood, the DS Two is useless to you once you have CFW, if you go the ntrboot route (the only thing the DS Two can do that CFW can't is play DS games, which you'll be able to do with any random very cheap DS flashcart). He probably wants it to collect it.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should trade with wormdood, the DS Two is useless to you once you have CFW,
not to push my own agenda but this is very correct the snes and gba emulation (or any emulation) offered by scds2 is inferior to its cfw provided counterpart
if you go the ntrboot route (the only thing the DS Two can do that CFW can't is play DS games, which you'll be able to do with any random very cheap DS flashcart).
(now to push it) the flashcard i am offering is an ak2i and will play ds roms as well in any ds / dsi / 3ds family system
He probably wants it to collect it.
i do

@Big Green i have more items than whats listed above i just dont want to bombard the thread (or you) with my desperation

Last edited by wormdood,
Reactions: Quantumcat

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You should trade with wormdood, the DS Two is useless to you once you have CFW, if you go the ntrboot route (the only thing the DS Two can do that CFW can't is play DS games, which you'll be able to do with any random very cheap DS flashcart). He probably wants it to collect it.
OP has a DSi and he might prefer it for DS games (because original screen resolution etc). DSTWO is the best flashcard for DSi.
Maybe the 3DS he buys comes with 11.3 and he doesn't need a ntrboot compatible flashcard.

Big Green

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can CFW with a DSi run GBA games? Like basically run the DSi in GBA mode and run the games at full speed?

Also would like something that gives an option for the 3DS if so. Also how difficulty is it setting up NTR Boot? Tbh its looking like thats the route I should have gone. I wasn't sure the the scds2 would stay in stock though so I bought it hastily

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

So far I'm liking the DS Two Plus. For GBA games though, most of them run at only 30fps. So I have to enable frameskipping. I'm wondering if that is normal. I guess the DSi is not strong enough to run them full speed since its through emulation?

Are you using TempGBA? I had almost perfect 60 FPS with that, but due to very slight framedrops the sound was kind of fucky, so I had to set frameskip to 1 to fix that. I definitely had a lot more than 30 FPS though, it was more like 58-59 FPS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."