Hacking Flashcart buying advice

milkbot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Now I know this sort of topic has been probably posted a hundred times before, but I did try to get onto the GBAtemp IRC to ask advice on a cart but wasn't able to connect, on either the CGI or java programs, or mIRC or Opera chat. (Though that's another problem)

After using a DSTT for a year an a half I upgraded to an M3i about 4 months ago for the features, and I must say I was a little disappointed. The whole case feels really flimsy, it's corrupted my data once, the load times are pretty slow and froze far more often, soft reset is quite a lot harder to use, save states were difficult to get my head around and certainly not as useful as I had hoped (trying to use them in heart gold to get huge scores on the coin game met with tragic results =P).
Although, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE INTERFACE. It is smooth, sorts alphabetically, easier to skin with, and simply visually appealing.
Meanwhile the DSTT had extremely fast loading times, soft reset was easy to use and fast, and the casing was rigid and strong feeling, but it's interface was terrible and it's firmware had little to no official support, games were listed by the date they were loaded, skins were difficult to use and while it wasn't *quite* as klunky as touchpod, it was still pretty slow scrolling.

So while my DSTT was great, and the M3i had an irreplaceable interface, I've decided to upgrade.

At first I thought Supercard DSTWO, because of all the snazzy features, but reading the review to it it didn't seem too much different from the M3i in terms of a flimsy feeling card, freezing issues, features which aren't quite upto par etc etc.

So, I just need some advice on whether to get a DSTWO and hope that the software gets better (though the hardware won't), hold out for a hardware revision, or get something else entirely. I was thinking Acekard 2, RPG or cyclo, because I had heard good things of all three.

Please help, or direct me to a condensed fact sheet where I may find everything I need to know.

Thanks for your time
smile.gif

EDIT: Not to mention the M3 microsd reader crapped out on me after a month while I STILL use the one I got with my DSTT years ago, despite it going through the wash twice.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Acekard 2.1 and 2i are just as flimsy (or even worse). It's pretty much a certainty that you will have contact issues. I know there'll be people in this thread going "get an acekard 2i", probably without even reasoning why.
I don't think they sell the RPG anymore.

One option is the original R4DS. You can get one for ~$3 from Priceangels or NDSCardsale. It has good build quality, good compatibility by using WoodR4. It won't work on the DSi and doesn't support SDHC microSDs. But pretty much the best value you can get.

CycloDS is great as far as build quality, features and support goes. But overpriced, imo.

milkbot

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah, with my M3i contact is another definite issue. I often have to remove the cart and put it back in to get it to load after it freezes.

Is there something in the hardware that means they can't produce a solid cart? =P

The Cyclo really looks like a quality product, though definitely over priced.
the DSTWO has some really good looked features, that haven't been implemented yet, and I don't know if they're really that easy to use.
The AK2 looks rather similar to M3i, though I don't know whether I'd like to pay for it only to discover it has the same under developed features and problems as the M3.

Lol, thanks for your suggestions! : )

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
milkbot said:
Yeah, with my M3i contact is another definite issue. I often have to remove the cart and put it back in to get it to load after it freezes.

Is there something in the hardware that means they can't produce a solid cart? =P

the DSTWO has some really good looked features, that haven't been implemented yet, and I don't know if they're really that easy to use.
The AK2 looks rather similar to M3i, though I don't know whether I'd like to pay for it only to discover it has the same under developed features and problems as the M3.

Believe me, the Acekard 2i is far, far more reliable than the M3i zero is.
I've had both and I share your disappointment in the M3i Zero.
Acekard is better than DSTT, the software functions fluently and updates regularly, with AKAIO firmware.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
I'd still recomend a Supercard DSTWO. The build quality is tollerable, the bugs mentioned are minor (they are mainly because they adveratise more features than they have currently), the RTS and RTG have a better interface than the M3i Zero, the RTS is less buggy than the M3i Zero's, you can have more than one RTG Guide, you can have save slots similer to the Acekard 2i's (you only get 4, though), it has a GBA emulator, it will have an SNES emulator, it will have a PDF reader, it will have video support without conversion, etc.

The lack of features adveratised are its major downfall, and why the DSTWO's reviews up to now aren't as good as they could be.

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Miser said:
Acekard 2.1 and 2i are just as flimsy (or even worse). It's pretty much a certainty that you will have contact issues.
Since when has it been certain you will have contact issues? I've brought 8 Acekard 2i's, and they all worked out of the box without contact issues. Of those one looked like it might have issues further down line, hence I raised the contacts. Even then it just takes 30 seconds to permantly fix.

The Acekard 2.1 and Acekard 2i have completly different build constructions. You wouldn't know as you don't have either.

Miser

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
Of those one looked like it might have issues further down line, hence I raised the contacts.
Proves my point.

Still don't get why anyone would recommend the AK2i over the DSONEi, for example. Can you answer this?

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
waffle1995 said:
I truly recommend SCDS2
a table i made to prove it ( i did left some feature out like gba emu, ids anti-privacy)
dvj81j.jpg
None of them have Dvix/Xvd support or a built in SNES emulator.

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
i was gonna get a dstwo but didn't because of built quality,missing features,and price
for the time being i got a ak2i
no problems with ak2i except dma modes and other stuff
but if u have the money get a dstwo

im waiting for a better batch of dstwo's that fix the built quality issues, gets all of its features, and the price goes down

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
milkbot said:

Believe me, the Acekard 2i is far, far more reliable than the M3i zero is.
I've had both and I share your disappointment in the M3i Zero.
Acekard is better than DSTT, the software functions fluently and updates regularly, with AKAIO firmware.

I agree the Acekard is superior to the M3, but a lot of the problems you had were just plain back luck.

QUOTE(waffle1995 @ Jun 24 2010, 09:53 AM)
I truly recommend SCDS2
a table i made to prove it ( i did left some feature out like gba emu, ids anti-privacy)
dvj81j.jpg

There are so many things wrong with that table.

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
yea i get u pharaoh
but maybe in an other batch the built quality is improved
getting now or getting later doesn't make a difference because the price wont go up, or sideways, they only way the price can go is down
so why not wait for the features to come out and get it later
getting it later will be better because
1. it will have all features and gba emulation will get better
2. built quality might be better considering all reviews are saying that the chip location is problematic and the supercard team might change the location and the problem might be solved
3. the price cant go up or sideways so it might go down making it less expensive and affordable

so waiting isn't killing anyone
for the time being i got the ak2i and i will get the dstwo but not now i will get it later

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kiafazool said:
another point to add to my list is that
im not buying the dstwo because i will get getting a free dstwo
BY WINNING UR TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how are you going to win? Kill Shadz so he doesn't beat everyone else?

Also the build quality is pretty decent on the DSTwo. It has a screw, contact teeth, spring loader microsd slot, and it doesn't have clips holding it together.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: