Hacking Flashcards on 3ds - quick question.

illuvatar

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone, I was wondering if there are any flashcards that work on the 3ds that allow gba roms to be run. I assume that there wouldn't be but thought I'd ask. If there is, would someone be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There's two main options.

1 - Generic DS homebrew.
This works on any flash cart because it runs on the DS itself, but this limits the power. GBAemu4DS is the only functional one, and it's got all sorts of problems.

2 - Cart-specific homebrew.
These run on a special included CPU on the cart. Of the few carts that do this, the DSTwo is by far the best. It's emulator isn't perfect either, but it's got much higher compatibility.

DS sucks for emulation anyways. If you want PSP games to run the best, use an emulator on a more powerful system than the DS, or use an older DS you can plug a GBA flash cart into.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To explain things a bit better.... There's almost no way to run gba roms fullspeed like in a DS lite. You're only options are:

- Use a flashcart compatible with Wood (R4i Gold for example) and use the gbaemu4ds homebrew. It still got no sound for lots of game and many compatibility issues, but I was surprised to found out that many games run really fast. Their user interface is not exactly friendly too, since it's still in a "experimental" stage

- Use a Supercard DStwo, it has a built-in emulator. Compatibility is way better but it is still not a perfect, don't expect to run every game fullspeed without using frameskip. The DS2 is the best option for playing gba on 3ds but if you want absolutely perfect emulation you will be dissapointed. Many people here consider the DS2 gba emulation good enough though, it's more likely that you will like it too.

- Get an ambassador 3DS, btw I suspect the 3DS can run gba roms without emulation by using some sort of gba mode. Don't quote me on that though. This option most likely allow you to play the games with fullspeed and have minimum glitches. Even with an ambassador 3DS you're still limited to only 10 selected gba games so it's not a very good alternative imo. Nothing stops Nintendo from releasing these and other gba roms to normal 3ds owners but if they'll ever do it, it will take a long time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Date sticks