OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Just saw this while reading a new title called Yokokuhan, basically till now it is about internet crimes, even the videogames related ones. The first chapter shows a "Majicon".
Yokokuhan113966.jpg

Reactions: Chary

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Bwahaha!

It's fun how they use the word "backup" with negative connotation, as if the user was not entitled to make as many "backups" as he or she wants.

shoyrumaster11

Trophies
XP
Country
Right? Have you ever seen any other media talking/showing about flashcards (movies, series, animes, mangas)

I saw on some YouTube video that was talking about protecting Intellectual Property, it had shown an M3 Adapter card for a split second. But that was from the gov and it was in mint condition!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, no, you are not allowed to do backups of games.
In Japan. Here (in Poland) I can, and I only find it natural to protect the media that you own from damage. When you purchase software, you get the license to use it indefinitely, not "until the storage medium breaks" unless it is stated otherwise in the license (here I mean fixed time frame licenses, trials and such) - Japan is far too restrictive when it comes to backups.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In Japan.Here, I can, and I only find it natural to protect the media that you own from damage. When you purchase software, you get the license to use it indefinitely, not "until the storage medium breaks" - Japan is far too restrictive when it comes to backups.
I am pretty sure the text on the cartridges (and in manuals) saying that backups aren't allowed on my european and american bought games are true outside of Japan.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I am pretty sure the text on the cartridges (and in manuals) saying that backups aren't allowed on my european and american bought games are true outside of Japan.
Yeah, no.

You're subject to your country's copyright laws regarding software and to them only. A video game, regardless of what medium it's stored on, is software. You own it and as long as you posess any kind of proof of ownership of said software (or more accurately, a license that allows you to use it), you can do whatever you feel like doing with it as long as your actions are within the regulations of your country and the software is not simultaneously used on more "work stations" (in this case, consoles or PC's) than stated in the license (with video games, that number is usually one station).

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah, no.

You're subject to your country's copyright laws regarding software and to them only. A video game, regardless of what medium it's stored on, is software. You own it and as long as you posess any kind of proof of ownership of said software (or more accurately, a license that allows you to use it), you can do whatever you feel like doing with it as long as your actions are within the regulations of your country and the software is not simultaneously used on more "work stations" (in this case, consoles or PC's) than stated in the license (with video games, that number is usually one station).
Sweet, so I don't really have to follow the end user agreement that I am forced to accept... didn't know that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sweet, so I don't really have to follow the end user agreement that I am forced to accept... didn't know that.
That actually depends. For all intents and purposes, the End User License Agreement cannot infringe upon your rights as a citizen of a given country - if it does, it's null and void, but it works both ways - if you infringe upon the End User License Agreement, you may not be able to take advantage of services provided in-game (or in software). You're only purchasing the software, not, for example, the capacity to play it online or receive patches over a given online system, for example PSN or XBox Live. There's a difference between goods and services - to use a service, you "sign" a license that allows you to do so under given conditions, so it's a two-way agreement. With a standard purchase, it is not... but there often are fluctuations and the area is pretty grey, so you have to be familiar with your own country's law to know what you're entitled to do.
Then, let's sue microsoft for banning people playing their backups
They only get banned because they play them online - XBox Live is a service, and it's bound by a different agreement entirely. Microsoft doesn't literally "fry" the console - they remove its online capabilities by setting a ban flag on their servers for a given console ID because the user infringed upon the agreement concerning XBox Live. The console itself, or the game, for that matter, remain intact.

This is why people get so "upset" about ban waves - they often don't understand that the console and the online service are two separate entities. Nobody's going to sue you for owning and using a backup of a game you already own unless such an action is illegal in your country or unless it requires circumventing anti-piracy and copy protection systems (where applies, for example in the U.S), however, if the agreement concerning Online services you accepted strictly forbids you to do so, your online capabilities can in fact be revoked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @AncientBoi do you know spanish?