Hacking Flashcard tech info/brick info

Mike1007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Dear all,

I know a bit about the good old Flashcards for the NDS but not for the 3DS.

How do they actually work?

The old ones you just copy the files from the manufacturer of that Card on it and then insert it into the NDS. The NDS thinks that ist a real cartride from Nintendo and you can start the Content. Is this correct?

The 3DS ones modify the Software of the 3DS as far as I understood? Is this correct?

The reason why I ask is the bricking I have read about. Are the 3DS Cards the reason because they modify the Software of the DS?

Are Cards like DSTwo less risky?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DS mode flashcarts use header info and a bit of extras from the actual carts, which is enough to circumvent the security of the time. 3ds mode uses an exploit to disable done checks for verifying what is run.

To run a ds mode cart, you need something that isn't blocked by the 3ds/dsi firmware. The 3ds cart needs a firmware exploit to run and this requires some modification to the actual device configuration.

The DSTwo is a Ds mode flashcart so it doesn't affect software (=firmware). Thus little chance to brick.

Do note that technically anything can theoretically brick a device. It could be a bad ps3 official firmware or a bad flashcart firmware.

Reactions: Mike1007

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."