Flashcard solution?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by whyyes, Jul 14, 2011.

Jul 14, 2011

Flashcard solution? by whyyes at 6:17 PM (943 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. whyyes
    OP

Member whyyes GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have an R4DS with Wood R4 1.33(or whatever the newest version is.) I need a gba flashcard. Do I go with the EZ Flash 4 or the EZ 3 in 1? And do either of these use .sav files? I'd prefer to not be relying on a battery that can go bad..

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    All batteries go bad soon enough. that is not a valid complaint. It is like saying my DS uses a battery where can I get a plutonium based version instead.

3. whyyes
    OP

United States
    I mean, do either of the cards save to the mini sd like R4 saves to micro sd? As long as they do I don't have a problem with the battery in the cart going bad.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    The battery last 3 to 5 years depending on use, assuming you didn't get a 3in1 that was returned.

All other problems to savs are with the rom itself, not the 3in1. Saves are transfered the next time you access the 3in1, unless it is in NOR where it is YOUR responsibility to back it up manually.

5. whyyes
    OP

United States
    So even if the battery is dead, it'll still save to the mini sd if you soft reset, right?

6. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    Your sav data is stored in SRAM, no power (a dead battery) = no save when the power goes out.

SRAM is the same as the RAM in your computer, no power no nothing.

Saves are stored in the SRAM so you can back it up (to the microSD) AFTER you access it again.

7. whyyes
    OP

United States
    But I read somewhere the reset trick will work, even with a dead battery, because it acesses the loader again without turning it off?

8. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    the reset trick only works on flashcarts in a GBA not a DS. You have to get back into DS mode to transfer the save to the microSD with a 3in1. You can only do a hard reset to get back into DS mode from GBA mode.

It is called a SOFT reset where it doesn't cut the power to the unit. Which is different from a HARD reset where the unit is turned off.

9. whyyes
    OP

United States
    How about with an EZ Flash IV? That has it's own miniSD, so it should work right? With a soft reset, that is

10. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    If it is in a DS, you can only do a hard reset to get back into DS mode from GBA mode if your on a DS.

It still uses a battery. so your still back at square one.

Be aware that the 3in1 is a stripped down version of the EZ-Flash IV. same answers apply.

11. whyyes
    OP

United States
    I can soft reset gba games on my DS. This cart would be loaded in GBA mode, and occasionally used in a GBA SP. So I think I'll just go with an EZ Flash IV. I have replaced batteries before if I need to.

12. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    That would be NO if you got a 3in1, it doesn't support soft reset patches from the EZ-Flash IV client.

The soft reset works most of the time with a EZ-Flash IV in a DS, not all the time.

There are alot of games where soft reset patches break either other patches or saving altogether on some games. It is not recommended you try and do this for all your games. You will eventually hit a point where a game save will go corrupt because junk data is not removed from the SRAM before writing it to file.

13. whyyes
    OP

United States
    Well I'm not getting a 3-in-1, I'm getting the full size EZ Flash IV. But thanks for all the help.

Last question: Is there a cheap US retailer for these things? I'd rather not wait 2 weeks for shipping from Hong Kong.

14. how_do_i_do_that

Antarctica
    cheap US retailer = NO. you want cheap, put up with the waiting and order from a HK site.

Buying from a site like RHS in the US means you get it faster, thats it.

15. whyyes
    OP

United States
    Ended up getting it from DScartshop, 12-14 days isn't that bad