Flash2Advance... How much is it worth? QUICKLY PLEASE!

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Schlupi, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Schlupi
    OP

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    So I am able to get a FLash2Advance. I heard it is a great cart but I want to know

1) If it is true,

and

2) how much the thing is worth to a collector/ person who wants to use it

nowadays. I know they don't make them anymore and those old GBA kits are really rare now...

Anybody able to help out with this price estimate? Hopefully I can get an answer soon, because he MAY sell it to another person and I don't want to miss the opportunity if I can get it.

Thanks for your time, whoever reads this.

2. DigitalDeviant

Member DigitalDeviant GBAtemp Addict

United States
    whats his asking price?

edit: is he including the usb cable/how much capacity does it have?

3. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    1 Gb, or GB whatever. yeah, it comes with box, manual, USB cable, full set.

4. DigitalDeviant

United States
    thats great lets discuss via pm.

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    A gigabit is only ~125 megs, just so you know.

6. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    Yeah, I know. Thanks for the heads up. [​IMG]

7. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    i own a f2a 128, its the usb linker, like the one i think you are looking at? it is by far the BEST slot-2 i have ever owned. i purchased it in 2003 and i love it. the linker came in its own box and the flash kit came a small metal tin with a foam insert.

the problem is that the software (and driver) for flashing it via usb is very old. the last writer was coded for windows xp. it also requires a GBA to flash it. what you do is put the f2a in the GBA, plug the cable into the GBA. that cable then goes into the USB. open the flashing writer and you scan for the cart. you need the right writing program or it won't see the linker. there are programs for win98/2k from what i can recall.

i paid $145 for mine shipped. it is rare but then again its really old, hasn't seen a software update in 9 years, and can only hold 1-2 games at a time. i would think that $75 would be high but still a good price because the cart is such great quality. especially since you said you have the full tin it came in and the linker and stuff?

this could help you:
    http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=3747
    http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=3746

i have another great link but the site links to rom sites. try to google "gameboy-advance" and "gba flash kit".

cheers,
    -another world

8. DigitalDeviant

United States
    Don't get me started on the pricing for the gameboy color flash carts, those gems are rare finds indeed.

9. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany

a gigabit is exactly 128 mb, if said by a console game manufacturer
    or ~125 mb if said by a hdd manufacturer

10. junn

Member junn .

United States
    i forgot how much i paid for mine.'was long time ago.it's still working great.
    it's a FA turbo 128,with sticker already peeled off, and flash advance pro 256
    with a parallel port linker.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

i'll say better buy it before it's gone.
    and hope it's not more than hundred bucks.

11. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    It's only 40-50 bucks...

I guess I found a deal, it's Complete in box fully working. I'll snatch it up as soon as I see him.

Thanks for the help. guys.

12. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Be sure to find out if it's a Flash2Advance or a Flash2Advance Ultra, as they are very different carts. The one pictured earlier in this thread is a F2A, while a F2AU looks like this. I suspect it's the latter because of the fact that it's 1 Gbit, which I don't think was an option for the original F2A carts though I could be wrong. If it is a F2AU, then http://flash2advanceultra.tk/ will be your friend for downloads and software. Also make sure it comes with a compatible USB linker cable.

I personally have a F2A Ultra cart, 1 Gbit, and can help you with pretty much anything related to it (minus driver installation issues, I'm terrible with those) if you'd like.

EDIT: for what it's worth, I originally paid $120 I think for mine. Maybe $105, don't quite remember. Either way getting one this late in the game for that price is pretty good, although you have the disadvantage of having a cart that is harder to use in most ways than, say, an EZ-Flash IV. I still love mine though and don't regret getting it.

13. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    It is most definitely an Ultra.

I have decided to get it. thanks for the info. [​IMG]

14. DanTheManMS

United States
    Sounds like a plan. A few things you should know about the F2AU in case you decide not to sell it:

1. The GBA loader software is a bit annoying to use, in that you can't decide which game gets which pre-determined icon, but it works for what it does.
    2. The real-time save function only works for commercial games. Don't try it on homebrew stuff; doesn't work.
    3. For emulators like PocketNES and Goomba and such, they expect a 64 KB save, while the official software expects 32 KB max. You can edit the win2fa.gat database file to fix this, by cannibalizing the data of a legitimate game, and I can instruct you on how to do this with a hex editor if you'd like.
    4. Don't rely on the "save list" function of the flashing software. It simply stores a list of file locations. If any file location changes, the list becomes worthless.

15. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    The FA is worth more if you have the voltage chip in it that allows you to play GB roms directly.

The F2A only came in 64M, 128M and 256M. Maximum value here would probably be 20 bucks if in good condition and came with the usb cable. The P25 cable had a high failure rate.

The F2AU came in 512M, 1G and 2G. These had RTC to let you play pokemon and supported the new flash save types at the time. To use the RTS, you pressed the buttons on the cart, not a soft GBA keyset like some of the later flashcarts.

Like Dan said, any changes in the save list and the thing is worthless to use that way.

16. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the info, guys. [​IMG] I appreciate all the help.

I noticed the site is gone, I can't seem to find a link to the software and drivers or whatever for the cart.

Anybody have them, and would like to upload it to FileTrip? Or something? [​IMG]

17. DanTheManMS

United States
    The www.flash2advanceultra.tk site I posted earlier should have copies of all software and firmware versions released for the cart. And drivers. I tried desperately to get it to work on Vista but it didn't work (to the point of getting a BSOD), so make sure you have an XP computer handy for flashing. If for some reason the links are dead, I've got a good amount of them on my local drive and I can upload if needed.

Also heh, I completely forgot about the RTC included in it. Got a homebrew *.gba file originally for the X-rom cart that can be used to set and view the time. Let's see how accurate it is after years of neglect... alright so it's currently 2:45 and the cart thinks it's 4:30. Not too bad really.

EDIT: Also note that you can use the USB cable to turn your GBA into a joypad for your computer, for use with emulators and the like. I made a video demo ages ago on this at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E-wSpCEXi4

18. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    SO how exactly do these "revival buttons" work? I have pressed the during gameplay and they do nothing. Isn't supposed to be save states or something?

19. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    One does the saving, the other does the loading.

20. Schlupi
    OP

United States
    I figured as much. But when I press them ingame they don't do anything... >_>

How do I get them working?