Hacking Flash OoT3Dhax/supermysterychunkhax via NDS flashcart?

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I was doing a bit of lurking when I stumbled across an idea just now: What if we could flash the OoT3Dhax/supermysterychunkhax save payloads via an NDS flashcart?

Is flashing the payload via a DS flashcart possible with the current public knowledge? I think it could work as a nice alternative to Powersaves, or finding someone with a 10.5 or lower 3DS.

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey guys, I was doing a bit of lurking when I stumbled across an idea just now: What if we could flash the OoT3Dhax/supermysterychunkhax save payloads via an NDS flashcart?

Is flashing the payload via a DS flashcart possible with the current public knowledge? I think it could work as a nice alternative to Powersaves, or finding someone with a 10.5 or lower 3DS.
You could but with a nds lite or phat

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reactions: CrispyYoshi

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Does such a homebrew exist already? I can only recall NDS backup tool, although I'm not sure if that would actually work or not. If it is possible, I wonder why nobody suggests this method?
@zoogie wrote a quick tutorial on doing oot3dshax using an nds flashcart and a dslite/phat. It's not recommended because you need to saw off part of the cartridge.

The same thing can be done with SMCH, as the save hardware is the same, but you'd need a save file.

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@zoogie wrote a quick tutorial on doing oot3dshax using an nds flashcart and a dslite/phat. It's not recommended because you need to saw off part of the cartridge.

The same thing can be done with SMCH, as the save hardware is the same, but you'd need a save file.
Wow, that's awesome! Do you know why the flashing can't just be done on a 3DS flashcart in DS mode?

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Irrelevant. You can dump and restore preexisting saves just fine given the hardware on the cart is the same.
yeah, but afaik that dump/restore function uses the encryption keys to do so.
but you may be right anyway, external save dongles like powersaves exist now that I remember.

CrispyYoshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but you may be right anyway, external save dongles like powersaves exist now that I remember.
Powersaves flashes by connecting to Datel's server so they can modify the save for you using private methods.

However, the tutorial zoogie wrote up seems to work for them, so it apparently really is possible!

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I am right. I've done this process before. The encryption is irrelevant if you make a 1:1 dump of the save data (like with a powersaves).

Given that it's just restoring data to the cart, it doesn't care about the content of that data. That's why NDS homebrew can restore a hacked save of OOT3DS.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I am right. I've done this process before. The encryption is irrelevant if you make a 1:1 dump of the save data (like with a powersaves).

Given that it's just restoring data to the cart, it doesn't care about the content of that data. That's why NDS homebrew can restore a hacked save of OOT3DS.
I though encryption was used to access the save chip itself, seems like I was mistaken.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: