Flash Linker Xtreme - I'm probably stupid

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by Corvyn, May 25, 2014.

1. Corvyn
    OP

Corvyn Newbie

Newcomer
    May 25, 2014
    United States
    So, not really knowing what I'm doing on the hardware side of this, I bought a Flash Linker Xtreme online. It came with no manual, no CD, just the USB cable. I tried just plugging it in (again, first time working with this stuff). Obviously, that didn't work, so after researching it I removed the drivers and the software and tried again, installing those first. However, all I get when using the software is "DLLPORTIO.SYS not found" and the message that there is no linker detected. I can't find any instructions telling me to do anything different than what I am, other than the manual, which tells me to use the CD. Is it my OS (Windows 8), is there something else I need to delete before trying to reinstall again... I'm a babe in the woods here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

assassinz likes this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Yeah windows 8 is the most likely culprit -- these old carts tend to work best with windows XP, you can still do it with a virtual machine though
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/using-virtualbox-to-manage-legacy-gba-flashcarts.275407/

"DLLPORTIO.SYS" is likely a part of/implementation of "portio", though windows XP is not that restricted it is still a bit locked down and that gave easy access to various ports. However go with the virtual machine before you start fiddling there.

3. Flavor

Flavor GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2007
    United States
    Are you talking about the "Flash Advance Linker Xtreme?"

If so, you may want to check this post out:
    http://www.flashmasta.com/2014/03/11/gba-flash-advance-linker-xtreme-vmware-windows-xp/
    That has worked fine for me under OSX and Windows 7. Windows 8 should work the same way with VMware.
    I had a guy recently trying to get it working under VirtualBox, and he seemed to have all sorts of problems. When he tried VMware, it worked pretty easily for him.

Also, I am working on some new software (command-line only at the moment) to use this hardware under OSX, Windows 7/8, and Linux. It's working well, but the development progress is a bit slow.

assassinz likes this.
  4. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    I still use mine with WinXP. Interesting to know others still use Flash Linker Xtreme too!