Flash Linker has a serial cable? What can I do?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by teampyong, Apr 16, 2016.

1. teampyong
    OP

teampyong Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2016
    Canada
    I recently purchased an unbranded 128M GBA flash card and the flash linker cable is a..."serial cable".

Owning fairly recent computers, I have no way to plug this into any of them, and I have no idea what to do. Where can I buy a cable like this that would use a USB? Or can I use a Serial Cable to USB adapter to make it work?

Thanks

2. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    You'll have to be more specific when it comes to cables because there's different variations. Is it a female to male serial cable? what's the end connector? etc.

Either way there's usb cables floating around you could use but you could also try using pci card like this (http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_...pJXdHbH-K8M4ER1t1zWl7Jke1jZG-44GXGxoC6qLw_wcB)

*EDIT* Keep in mind that addon card was just an example, if you're interested in a cord/card make sure you do research and find something that supports modern computers.

Last edited by Vanth88, Apr 16, 2016
  3. teampyong
    OP

teampyong Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2016
    Canada
    Alright, let's see if I can try to specify. I apologize if I'm slow to understand, I don't really know how much of this works.
    One end of the cable plugs into the GBA, into the port that isn't the charging port (I don't really know how to put it other than this).
    The other end has a male 25-pin serial cable.
    [​IMG]
    This is the cable. Hope this helps.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    There were three main variations of GBA flash cart that were not standalone devices managed by using a SD/CF/XD cart.
    1) USB cradle
    2) PC to flash cart
    3) PC to the serial port of the GBA

The PC side of things tended not to be serial and more often was parallel/LPT. I hope you have a windows XP machine to hand as no chance of any mac/linux/vista or newer windows going on here. If it was USB you might be be able to squeak by with a virtual machine but the ability to pass parallel and old school serial/rs232 is more up in the air, though I must confess to being rather behind on my virtualbox updates and fiddling.
    I have seen serial to USB and serial to parallel work properly but most things you find on the consumer market are not going to be that (when I see them work they tend to be $50 big boy toys to make machines costing 50 times that work). Anything that has it on the motherboard or via a PCI card or something is a different matter.

I am not sure what the unbranded ones would be. If you could get some pictures of the chip inside the cart we might be able to figure out something.

5. teampyong
    OP

teampyong Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2016
    Canada
    Looking into this, it seems the cable is LPT/Parallel. My apologies, for I thought serial was the same thing.