Hacking Flash cart

iRock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was interested in getting a Flash Cart for my Nintendo DS. I want the Flash Cart to have the following: 1) The ability to play music that I puto nto the flash cart 2) a good price, under 50 USD is the best. 3) Be able to play movies, although this is optional as I don't know if they have enough room to do that 4) Be able to use the Flash Cart while playing DS games.
The first two are what is most important to me, I dunno if 3 or 4 are even able to happen... I know absolutely nothing about them.
HA! Just remembered what I wanted to add, if it goes in the GBA slot, but meets the first two requirements, that is fine with me

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 & 3 all flash cards can do. 4 is impossible (they use the same slot, well, unless you get slot 2 but even then the DS can't just be multithreaded), and 2 narrows it down to the R4, M3 Simply, M3 Real, DSTT, CycloDS (I think), and EZV, N-Card. Basically everything but DS-X and G6.

iRock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so far so good, what other things would I need to buy to transfer videos/pics and songs onto the Flash Card?

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They make cards anywhere from 1GB to 8GB. But if you get anything above 2GB, your [flash]card will need SDHC support.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd say get the Supercard DS1 SDHC, EDGE, or M3 DS real.

Supercard: Amazing features, able to save in the middle of the game (RealTime Save), and a very neat menu. It has a built in version of moonshell, so just put the music in it, and just find it on the menu.

EDGE: Cheap, fast, and neat. Plays games nicely, and no problems so far.

M3 DS Real: Although it has some problems right now, if you want to get this cart, wait for the M3 DS Real Sakura firmware. It fixes most of the problems the original M3 real had, and improves a lot of things. It's still in Beta mode, so you'll probably have to wait for a while.

If you want to play games instantly, at a cheap price, go with EDGE.
If you want to play games more advanced, at a good price, go with Supercard DS1 SDHC.
If you can wait for a long time, go with M3 real.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only problem with the supercard is that is unusually sensitive to slower memory. I don't know if this was fixed in the SDHC version or not.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
The best slot 1 is the CycloDS Evolution but it is one of the most expensive. If you want a cheaper copy of it then buy the EDGE card. 2gb card goes down fairly well (if possible make sure its japanese made as they last the longest)

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
There is no ONE SINGLE BEST FLASH CART. Whatever you want in terms of features makes a certain flash cart your personal best. But no best overall. But the Cyclo is good overall, so if you are undecided, get the Cyclo.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkAura said:
There is no ONE SINGLE BEST FLASH CART. Whatever you want in terms of features makes a certain flash cart your personal best. But no best overall. But the Cyclo is good overall, so if you are undecided, get the Cyclo.

If you account for price, then no, the Cyclo is not the best. Otherwise though, it has more/better features than any other card.

Sorry for double post.

iRock

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am thinking Supercard DS one. What other items would I have to buy so that I can transfer music and movies from my iTunes, CD's, and DVD's. I was hoping to get about 1000 songs or a few movies onto it.

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You will need a micro SD memory card. If you get the SDHC version of the DSOne, you can have upto 8GB, otherwise 2GB is the max.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still find it hilarious that people seriously consider price as a major deciding factor in buying a device they will likely use to play hundreds of dollars worth of games for free. Especially when the prior generation (GBA flash carts) often cost double the amount of current cards and offered a fraction of the storage capacity (I spent over $100 for my Flash2Advance Ultra that stored a total of 128 MBytes, which was a good deal at the time).

Regardless, the SCDS is another good choice. Whether you can transfer your existing music or not depends on your ability to get rid of any DRM on the tracks, after which point they will be usable on any device. You'll definitely want a device with SDHC support at least, if you're planning to store that much media on it, since cards like the R4 cap out at 2 GB.

Post edited to add on to original statement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn