Flash cart with no slowdown for GBA roms?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by fuzzbutter, Apr 6, 2008.

Apr 6, 2008
  1. fuzzbutter
    OP

Newcomer fuzzbutter Newbie

United States
    Is there a flashcart that has no slowdown for GBA roms? Possibly no normal save problems? I don't ever use real time saves. I was looking at the M3-lite perfect and would prefer one with mirco sd. It would also be nice if I didn't have to patch roms and has a nice user interface. I have an SCL and I'm already getting sick of slowdown and the lack of compatibility for games I want to play. It would also be nice if it fit flush with my ds lite. I use a Cylods for NDS game so I only need the cart for GBA roms. Thanks for your time in advance. sorry for all the questions.

I was also recommended the EZ-Flash IV which seems also seems very nice and will match my lite casing very well. Which of these 2 carts would you recommend? Are there any others that are better? Thanks again!

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Even though you want one with a MicroSD, I recommend the EZ-Flash 3-in-1, uses Slot-1's MicroSD to hold GBA ROMS, and through a loader flashes them to temporary RAM or permanent rewritable RAM.

3. fuzzbutter
    OP

United States
    Will it work with a CycloDS? How does saving work, do roms need to be patched? I take it GBA roms run at full speed?

4. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Works with all flashcards that use DLDI, so yes; IIRC not anymore; and yes.

5. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    You need a third party loader to use the 3-in-1 with any flashcart other than the EZ-V. GBA ExpLoader is the best one available right now; it works with the Cyclo Evo, but you'll need to get the SoftReset.CEVO file from the Team Cyclops forums to enable its full capabilities.

All files are stored on the slot 1 cart. Saves stay in the 3-in-1's SRAM until GBA ExpLoader writes them to the save file on the slot 1 cart. Saves for the games you run from PSRAM are automatically backed up to the save file every time you start GBA ExpLoader. Saves for the game in NOR are only automatically backed up when you write a different game to NOR. You can manually write the save data to the save file by pressing (B) in GBA ExpLoader.

GBA roms do not need to be patched for use with GBA ExpLoader, but they do need to be SRAM patched if you use any other loader.

I've heard that all GBA flashcarts run some games slower than the original, I haven't had a chance to really test this myself though (I don't have many GBA game paks, and My PC is too slow to emulate the GBA at full speed, so I have nothing to compare).

I saw a post in the M3 forum saying that the M3 Perfect had slowdown on some games that didn't slow down on the 3-in-1, but this could have been because the user had patched the roms for cheats or real time saves, either of which could have been at fault. The 3-in-1 may also introduce some slowdown on some games, but if it does, it isn't bad enough to notice without comparing it to the original.

6. Jdbye

Suspended Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    I'd go with EZ4 if I were you, it's a great cart.

7. fuzzbutter
    OP

United States
    I'm ordering one now. Thanks!

8. SugaDaddy

Newcomer SugaDaddy Advanced Member

United States
    u could always use a psp lol

9. camx

Member camx GBAtemp Fan

United States
    For screen size and a faster/easier approach i would have to say yeah, the PSP is better. But to bypass the whole emulator part, with much better compatibility and nearly zero bugs, the 3in1 is best. Besides, using ~ the latest versions of gpsp, the takka ones, sound almost always gets out of sync. hard for me to play...

10. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Just keep in mind there isn't a GBA flash cart with "flawless" compatibility due to hardware reasons. None had an eReader card scanner, for instance. And the feature-length GBA Video carts are undumpable still. Meaning no flash cart or emulator runs them.

Still... Good choice. [​IMG] Most important are the demanding games like F-Zero Climax or Mario Kart Super Circuit. Those can be tough to run smoothly.

11. fuzzbutter
    OP

United States
    Is there any benefit in having the EZ IV over the V

12. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Well.. EZV is technically a slot-1 cart and has little to do with GBA games (other than storing them for the 3in1 expansion pack). EZ IV is a slot-2 cart (GBA) where DS ROMs need patching.

Anyway, the benefit of EZIV is great GBA ROM compatibility with lots of memory options (RAM, NOR, etc), although not 100%. I personally consider the 3in1 EZflash the "poor man's" EZIV.

13. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What are examples of these carts? And, are they un-dump-able due to same kinda crazy bank switching?

14. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Apparently. It's come up a few times, but as you can just use homebrew to convert and play the movies from another source... Not too important.

15. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Right, they're movies like Shrek and such that contain hours of video. These carts must be at least 64 MB in size to hold the amount of video that they do, and the limit for the GBA to use without bankswitching is 32 MB. The dumpers don't know how to handle the bankswitching, so you can't get good dumps of the files.