Flash Cart Help

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Wabajasaboo, Apr 30, 2008.

Apr 30, 2008

Flash Cart Help by Wabajasaboo at 9:46 PM (1,927 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Wabajasaboo
    OP

Newcomer Wabajasaboo Member

United States
    I have been researching information on flash carts like the R4DS which allow you to do more with your DS than you could before. The only problem is that I have a limited vernacular when it comes to technical jargon and I don't understand much. I would really like to do this mainly to install SNES and NES emulators on the DS (which I also have no idea how to do) because to me the DS has a limited selection of really good games while the SNES had a wealth of fun games. I would really like to know which Slot-1 flash cart is the best one to use (I have heard alot aout R4 but also that there are better ones), which Slot-2 flash cart is good to use so I could play GBA games, can you have both running at once and how do you set them up. I also read that you can not use Slot-1 flash carts to emulate GBA games, is that still true? Also, does your DS have to be plugged into a computer to play any type of games you have installed onto the MicroSD. I just have one more question for now, sorry if I am asking alot I don't know much, but I was wondering what games these flash carts can play, not specific games but the systems that can be played like NES, SNES, playstation, etc. Any help is very much appreciated.

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    OK, first of all most flash carts will do what you want, but the R4 is a little outdated, so I'd go with something else. If you want a really simple and inexpensive one, go with the DSTT. The Acekard 2, Edge, and SCDS1 are also recommended by a lot of people but they're slightly harder to use. DealExtreme.com has the best prices for many carts, but they are pretty slow (expect like 3 weeks for your cart to be shipped to you). If you want one quickly, I like leetmod.com (a bit more expensive, but faster shipping). You'll also need to buy a microSD card. I would recommend getting a 2GB Japanese Kingston microSD, which will let you store around 50 games or so at a time (you can always delete ones you don't want and replace them with new games).

Most carts will run SNES and NES games with the right emulator (emulators have to be installed onto your microSD card like a regular game). To play GBA games, you need a slot2 GBA expansion pack such as the eWin 2in1 or the EZ 3in1. I would get the 2in1 because it's generally cheaper, and particularly if you get a DSTT get the 2in1 because there is more support for it with that cart. To use the GBA expansion packs with some carts, you'll need to use the GBA ExpLoader program. Other carts like the Acekart 2 will run GBA games without GBA ExpLoader with certain slot2 carts.

Yes, you use your slot1 cart and your slot2 GBA expansion cart at the same time to play GBA games. The games are stored on the slot1 and then loaded to the GBA expansion cart to play the GBA game. The save file for the GBA game is saved on the slot1 cart.

No, the DS doesn't need to (nor can it be) be plugged into the computer. But in order to put games and your cart's firmware onto your microSD card, it needs to be attached to your computer via a microSD card reader (one comes with most carts). You'll need to download the firmware for your cart from the manufacturer's website. In general, you'll put the firmware files onto the root (top level) of your cart, and you will want to make a folder named "games" (or whatever name you want) and place your games in it. You might want to have a separate folder for GBA games. Place your emulators and other homebrew (programs that are written by individuals) into another folder, etc.

Once you have your cart's firmware and your games (and emulators and other homebrew if you like) on your microSD card, you remove it from your computer (be sure to use the "safely remove hardware" option) and put it in the slot1 cart. When you insert your slot1 cart into your NDS (like a regular game cartridge) and turn it on, it will load the firmware and show you a menu where you can select what game you want to play.

I hope I answered most of your questions.

-Bri

3. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    Thank you so much for answering my questions. I had no idea what I was readin about this stuff I just simply knew what I wanted to do, thank you again for clarifying everything. I think I will buy one of the ones yoou mentioned and try it out, thanks again.

EDIT: I have one last question to ask, where can you buy the 2in1 (Does DSTT make one or would ewin be better)? I searched on google but mostly found other people asking where you can buy the 2in1.

EDIT2:Never mind I found a pack with the DSTT, rumble pack and 2 in 1. I don't care about the rumble but thats okay, thanks again for the help I can't wait totry this out.

4. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    One minor thing to keep in mind is the fact that SnezziDS, one of the SNES emulators for the DS, only runs on slot-2 devices with GBA compatibility. It's mostly superseded by SNEmulDS, which incorporated the SnezziDS CPU core a few versions ago, but sometimes certain games can run better in it.

There's also SNES DS, which only runs large games on slot-2 devices, but honestly you'd be better off sticking with SNEmulDS or SnezziDS, so don't really worry about that one.

5. Bri

United States
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy the eWin 2in1 separately than to buy it bundled with the DSTT (the one that is sometimes bundled with the DSTT is actually the eWin 2in1). You can buy it at psxboy.com for about $14 including shipping (here's a link). You don't really need the rumble (there are only about 10 games that it works with, and really you probably won't use it much).

It's usually cheaper (and more convenient) to buy the microSD card bundled with the DSTT than to buy each separately. Buy the DSTT bundled with the microSD card here ($37.75 for both shipped). Or, if you're willing to pay an extra $12 for faster shipping here ($49.99 for both shipped, and they test it for you before they ship it out so you'll have a better chance of getting one that's not defective).

-Bri

6. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    Thanks so much both of you, I will definately but those. I was wondering however, which games can the DS support. Can it play PSOne or Dreamcast? I know it can't play N64 but there are games like Castlevania SOTN that would be fun to play, but that is a PSOne game.

7. Bri

United States
  8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    it cannot play any PS1/N64/DreamCast games

9. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    I figured as much but it never hurts to ask. I have one last set of questions, some of which I think I know the answers to. I know it is probably impossible to play NES or SNES games that were multiplayer with other people on your DS, but can you play GBC or GBA games that could have used a link cable and if you can do you need a special cable for your DS. Also. if there is a DS game that requires a GBA game in the second slot for special content (i.e. Pokemon or Megaman) does that still work? My final question is if the DSTT comes with a manual for how to set everything up or if I have to figure it out myself? I know you download files and put them into the MicroSD but after that I am afriad I know nothing but if the DSTT comes with a manual I should be fine.

EDIT: Do I need multipul MicroSD cards or multipul DSTT cards to play the games?

10. Bri

United States
    I can answer some of your last questions. No, there is no manual for the DSTT (what is there is in poor English and won't help you much). However, it's easy to install and use, so that's the good news.[*]Download the firmware here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=2134[*]Unzip the firmware archive. It should have a file named TTMENU.DAT and a folder named TTMENU (which will contain a bunch of files). Drag TTMENU.DAT and the TTMENU folder onto your microSD card.[*]Make a new folder on your microSD card called "games."[*]Put one or two .nds files into the "games" folder.[*]Remove the microSD card from your PC. Make sure you always use the "safely remove hardware" to remove the microSD card.[*]Insert your DSTT into your NDS. Insert the microSD into your DSTT. You should get to a menu with your games in it. Click on a game to run it.You only need one DSTT and one microSD card. Oh, and you can put lots more games on your card once you confirm that everything is working, but don't fill up your card. Leave plenty of free space for save files.

-Bri

11. Wabajasaboo
    OP

United States
    Alright, I bought the cards that you gave me the links to. The one that comes with the DSTT and the kingston doesn't show a MicroSD in the picture, or am I mistaken and the orange thing is the MicroSD because I thought that was the device that was used to hook up the MicroSD card to the computer?