Hacking Flash Cart and SD Card for a Kid

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone. I've been given the all-important task of buying a flash card for a kid. I'll be purchasing it from DealExtreme. What flash cart should I get for her? I think she'd prefer one that's simple to use and has little to no problems.

Can someone also recommend me a good SD card in Canada or from Deal Extreme? Thanks.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
geokilla said:
Hi everyone. I've been given the all-important task of buying a flash card for a kid. I'll be purchasing it from DealExtreme. What flash cart should I get for her? I think she'd prefer one that's simple to use and has little to no problems.

Can someone also recommend me a good SD card in Canada or from Deal Extreme? Thanks.

TTDS is cheap and simple to use no nonsense no extra fiddly settings for saves etc ....and good game compatability
smile.gif

both my kids have them and several friends kids also have them
smile.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSTT is the easiest for a small kid because it doesn't display folders (all ROMs on the microSD card are shown in one long list).

If they're a little older and can traverse folders, the Edge would be a good choice. The Acekard 2 is nicer, but I think the Edge probably has a little bit simpler interface.

-Bri

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm. Those seem like they're good carts. They're cheap too.

I think the kid is like 10 or something so she should be able to handle folders fine....I don't think her parents would put much on the DS anyways besides games.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I agree, the Edge is probably the best for a 10 year old, although any cart will work since a 10 year old won't have any problems with folders or menus.

Personally, I prefer the Acekard 2, which has a nice menu and isn't difficult to use either. Its menu system is a little "fancier" than the Edge. But it's not as sturdy as the Edge, so it's possible that a 10 year old might break the clips if they are rough with it (there's actually no reason to take it out of the NDS, but I know how kids are).

-Bri

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want the cheapest, I recommend the DSTT.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10289

If you want a pretty good flashcart with a pretty nice GUI and nice custom firmware (AKAIO).
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11811

I would recommend the AK2 over the DSTT if you have the extra $5 because it's worth it. Also, about the folders, for the AK2, just place them on the root and there should only be 2 menus in total (1 for all the files on root and the other that shows microSD and GBA).

Did you consider a MicroSD? I'd recommend a 2GB for a little kid. Kingston 2GB Japan is the best from this chart:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/index.php/Memory_Speed_Tests

geokilla

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys. I'll probably get the AK2. She should be able to handle a folder called "DS Games".

As for the MicroSD card, I was thinking of getting her a A-Data 4GB for around $16. She definitely doesn't need a 8GB MicroSD.

LuOmeoga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geokilla said:
Thanks guys. I'll probably get the AK2. She should be able to handle a folder called "DS Games".

As for the MicroSD card, I was thinking of getting her a A-Data 4GB for around $16. She definitely doesn't need a 8GB MicroSD.
I'd get a Transcend it's so much cheaper, and more reliable.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would of gone with the EDGE cause of simple interface, and very sturdy construction. I got a 2nd gen R4DS (real R4 btw) last x-mas for a 11-year old boy, well along the way of owning it there are stress marks in the casing of the R4 (like it was sat on or something, and the R4 had very good construction) although it still works I don't think a AK2 would hold up to the stress that would be put on it.

I don't know what he did and I know its in his DS probably 80%+ of the time. I've only put a few games on it for him the first couple months he had it, he doesn't know how to get games or put them on the memory card so that also eliminates more chances of use.

My EDGE card feels more sturdy than both 1st and 2nd gen R4's so big plus for kids.

geigervibe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
roguetrip said:
I would of gone with the EDGE cause of simple interface, and very sturdy construction. I got a 2nd gen R4DS (real R4 btw) last x-mas for a 11-year old boy, well along the way of owning it there are stress marks in the casing of the R4 (like it was sat on or something, and the R4 had very good construction) although it still works I don't think a AK2 would hold up to the stress that would be put on it.

I don't know what he did and I know its in his DS probably 80%+ of the time. I've only put a few games on it for him the first couple months he had it, he doesn't know how to get games or put them on the memory card so that also eliminates more chances of use.

My EDGE card feels more sturdy than both 1st and 2nd gen R4's so big plus for kids.
In another thread I got the recommendation for my 9 years old daughter to the AK2 because of the ability to play back divx and for it simple interface. I know that the AK2 is not of the best physical quality.
But now I wonder how bad that quality really is. Should I concern that this cart can get broken very soon?
It is conceivable that the cart would be often switched (but by me and not by my daughter) to upload some games, mp3, movies or what ever,...

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be concerned.

The main concern is that the Acekard 2 uses plastic clips to hold it together rather than screws or glue like other carts. Some think that after years of removing and replacing the cart the clips might bend or break. Even if true, you don't need to remove the cart very often if at all. The microSD card ejects from the cart without removing the cart from the NDS. I don't think I've ever taken my flash cart out of the NDS since I bought it. But even if for some reason your clips bend or break you can just glue the cart together and it'll be good as new.

You would probably benefit from a class 6 microSDHC card though, since it's faster. But I'm guessing the main difference you'll see between a class 4 and a class 6 would be some slow-down on the Castlevania intro movie.

-Bri

geigervibe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Bri said:
I wouldn't be concerned.

The main concern is that the Acekard 2 uses plastic clips to hold it together rather than screws or glue like other carts. Some think that after years of removing and replacing the cart the clips might bend or break. Even if true, you don't need to remove the cart very often if at all. The microSD card ejects from the cart without removing the cart from the NDS. I don't think I've ever taken my flash cart out of the NDS since I bought it. But even if for some reason your clips bend or break you can just glue the cart together and it'll be good as new.

You would probably benefit from a class 6 microSDHC card though, since it's faster. But I'm guessing the main difference you'll see between a class 4 and a class 6 would be some slow-down on the Castlevania intro movie.

-Bri
Thanks for the replay. Ok then, the AK2 is still on my radar...

I allready have a Transcend 4GB microSDHC class6. I'm thinking of to buy another one since this SD is so cheap (10 Euro).
As I know this SD would be working together with the AK2. If not, so please tell me,...

Thanks

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should ask on the Acekard forum whether anyone has had problems with that particular microSD card if that's your question.

-Bri

ozzymud

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We bought our 3yo a ds, then bought a pile of games... diego, dora, crayola, etc etc... I got so TIRED of "i wanna play a different game dada!" that i jumped in and bought a R4-III (yea yea, clone or whatever) r4dsl.net. It feels like a very sturdy cartridge and has worked flawlessly for a couple of months now in his hands.

But any that us the R4 style menu are great for small children. i went a step further on his, and edited the skin to only have one icon, the "games" one. The others i just made black. The Games icon is a green xbox controller which he is very familiar with. Also i used Flashme on it to simplify it further.

Now he turns it on, taps the games icon, then picks his game from the picture/icon, he hasnt tapped the Media or Slot-2 areas of the screen yet :P

So, R4 style menu... simple enough for a 3 year old :P

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PharaohsVizier said:
Ummm, I WOULD be concerned with the breaking of the clips. I mean I try to protect my carts as best I could, but these clips are hella annoying now. At first I didn't thin much of it, but when you have a cart for a year or longer (G6DS Real), then you realize the clips start to wear out, even if you try to baby it.

I've not heard of the clips wearing out with the AK2. Mine look as good as new after about 6 months, but then again I hardly ever remove it from my NDS. When I do take it out, the clips don't really rub against the NDS or anything so I don't see them wearing out.

That said, I imagine that even if the clips did happen to wear out, you could just glue it shut.

QUOTE(ozzymud @ Sep 13 2008, 06:11 AM) So, R4 style menu... simple enough for a 3 year old
tongue.gif

YSMenu (which runs on several carts) has a similar menu. The Edge and CycloDS also have similar menus.

-Bri

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PharaohsVizier said:
As for the clips wearing out, I guess it could be attributed to the fact that I do insert and remove repeatedly, seeing as it has to be done when I swap carts, but I would still be weary of the fact that there are clips. If you accidentally snag it on something, etc. But its true that you can always glue it back together, and whatnot.
Seconded! I am very good with all my stuff but a lot of the time my SCD1 is coming in and out of my DS. Go with this, all you ever need. The plus to the SCD1 is it is made well, SC most likely will still do updates for years to come, it can run the DSTT firmware if you like it and doesn't cost that much more. And yes now I am a SuperCard fan
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu