flash cart advice

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by theredbaron, May 31, 2007.

May 31, 2007

flash cart advice by theredbaron at 5:00 PM (1,106 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. theredbaron
    OP

Newcomer theredbaron Member

United States
    Hey all,
    I just got a DS and have been reading around the forums about homebrewing. Basically I want to play DS backups and watch movies on my new DS Lite. The possibility of GBA emulation sounds good too, but that's not a priority. The DS-Xtreme looks like it offers everything I want, but I like the idea of removable media for expansion. Is there anything that works as well as the DS-X, but with removable memory cards? I also think that a nice O/S that utilizes the touch screen effectively is important. Any suggestions/warnings would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. JusDaMan

Newcomer JusDaMan Advanced Member

easiest solution, Read reviews.

long story short, from wat i read around
    The current top seller seems to be R4/M3
    The one wif highest internal modification capability is SCDS1

If u really want to wait the cyclonDS seems to be the best. but it hasnt come out yet.

KK, see you later bye

3. theredbaron
    OP

United States
    The CycloDS looks good too. Seems like it might be too good to be true, but I might check it out. Do any of the existing flashcarts double as RAM for web browsing?

4. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    no they do not, you need 2 flash carts to use opera browser ram, although ez flash has a cheap alternative they call a ez flash v expansion pack, it can only hold 1 file at a time but it is also a ram pack, for only $20 with free shipping, its a bargain, although are you sure you have that kinda money a ds-xtreme is about $125 for a 2gb and the other brands are way cheaper although download play is not that great on them.

5. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    well.. I must say I recommend the M3 simply... But it have NO support for GBA games... but I think it works like a charm, no trouble with it at all [​IMG]

6. theredbaron
    OP

United States
    Well, yeah, the Xtreme is quite pricey. But the all-in-one appeal is hard to resist. I'm waiting until the CycloDS Evolution reviews come in, and might check that out. With these all-in-one-ers, is it still necessary to flash the firmware?
    How's the OS on the M3?
    There are so many options and combinations out there, I'm having a hard time making sense of it all.

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Indeed, I have one too. Even DS Download Play works quite often!

8. Jepeto

Member Jepeto GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    if you read well, you could find that the most compatible and versatile option is the R4, theres some issues but is the best option for you today.

my opinion is that there isnt any other card that can compete with the R4.

But for GBA compatibily you should think for another option or maybe a companion to the R4

9. theredbaron
    OP

United States
    Are M3 and R4 slot1 cards? And then one would add a slot2 card for GBA emulation and browser ram?

10. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    The M3 Simply and R4 are Slot 1 cards. The M3 Perfect is a Slot 2 card. If you use it in combination with the M3 Simply you can use it as RAM for the browser. It also plays GBA roms.

11. xenon

Member xenon GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    If you want all in one there's the N-Card and its clones. Way cheaper than the DS-Xtreme.

12. Jepeto

Member Jepeto GBAtemp Regular

Uruguay
    one of the good things of the R4 is that uses microSD memory, so you can have all the games, videos, mp3s, apps that you want, its depends on you.
    And all the things that is posted over there of the spring problem with this card, is only a matter of care, use it with love, slowly and you wont have any problems, mine is working great, since a month of intensive use.

13. theredbaron
    OP

United States
    Each cart comes with its own proprietary OS right? Is it possible to put in a different one? If so, what is the best?

M3 and R4 seem to be the most popular for slot1/microSD. I read that they're quite similar. Is one more finicky or buggy than the other? Does one have to flash the DS Lite firmware to use these?