Hacking Flash card for use with a GBA, not a DS

bendezium

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a GBA flash card for use in a GBA. I've found plenty of information on cards that are made to be compatible with a DS, and I don't need anything that fancy. I'd like something cheap and simple. It doesn't have to work in a DS or run NES emulators or play music. It doesn't even need to be able to hold many games - 5 would be plenty, or accepting an SD card would work. I just don't know how to filter out the extra fancy ones from the rest. I'm happy to do the research on my own if you guys could toss out a few names.

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Edit: another question. If it will work with the NDS slot 2, will it also work for the GBA, or are there some cards that are designed specifically for the NDS but not the GBA?

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The EZ-Flash IV is probably the easiest to come by these days, and offers pretty good support. It doesn't have a real-time-clock, but that's about its only drawback. For double its price, you could get an M3 Perfect that does have RTC (but you'd probably have to replace its battery, as most of the ones sold these days have been sitting around for a while).

bendezium

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I'm using it with a GBA, do I need an RTC, or would the GBA take care of it? I was under the impression that an RTC was used to correct for a different oscillator frequency in different systems. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I appreciate the help,

Erik

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
RTC is mostly used by pokemon games and a few others. 90% of all games doesn't use RTC.

RTC is a clock chip, that increments the time.

It is mostly a 8 legged chip that looks like this:

IMG_120010c.jpg

In GBA the RTC is on the game's PCB. In DS the RTC is on the DS, thats why the games are smaller, the majority of the hardware is moved to the DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.