Fizeau - Adjust color of your Switch screen

Fizeau
test.png

Adjust the color of the screen of your Nintendo Switch.

Features:
  • Modify the color temperature of the display.
  • Filter colors to one single component.
  • Apply color corrections: gamma, luminance, and color range.
  • Control the screen backlight brightness.
  • Schedule settings to be applied to dusk/dawn time, with smooth transitions.
Installation:
Download the latest zip from the release page, unzip it to the root of your sd card (be careful to merge and not overwrite folders), and reboot.
Only the latest version of the Atmosphère CFW is supported.
If you want to use the overlay, you will need to set up Tesla (install Tesla-Menu and ovlloader). This isn't supported on firmware versions prior to 9.0.0.

Supported firmwares:
All firmares are expected working. The software was tested working on 1.0.0, 2.0.0, 6.0.0 and 10.1.0. If you encounter an issue running this on a particular version, please create an issue.
Settings:
  • Settings are saved at /switch/Fizeau/config.ini, which you can also edit.
  • To reduce the memory usage of the sysmodule, settings are not read continually. Instead, they are applied on application launch. Thus, you will need to launch the client after a reboot to restart Fizeau.

Link: https://github.com/averne/Fizeau/

Last edited by averne,

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
amazing work buddy! thank you! I haven't used fizeau yet, but now I certainly will.
I'm interested in the research process, what did it involve?

(It's not uploaded yet, so I have to wait to use it :D)
Yeah I'm still working on it, this was just a brief showcase of the proof-of-concept.
The research involved reversing nintendo's video code/gpu drivers with the help of existing code in the Linux Tegra driver and its reference manual, and a lot of reading up on color correction (which is terribly more complex than it sounds:D).

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
wow, very impressive. that sounds very complex, I hope you shared/will share any information on the switchbrew wiki (or whatever site people use)
congratulations!

Reactions: ragestaker21

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wow, very impressive. that sounds very complex, I hope you shared/will share any information on the switchbrew wiki (or whatever site people use)
congratulations!
Yes I actually plan to document it in my repo. I don't think switchbrew is the place given that it's not really switch-specific stuff.
I explain briefly how the feature I'm using for this works here, if you're interested.

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Quick update: at this point, I have pretty much everything I want implemented (minus some stuff I want to polish, and some code cleanup). What you see here is the client ui. On the right side are two preview windows, the first to show color modifications (in this case, only temperature), and the second to illustrate color correction on the gamma ramps. The images are of course placeholders.

However I don't have access to an external monitor right now, so I can't really test on that. I think I'm gonna hold the release until I can make sure it works properly, ie in early September. In the meantime, I'll write the overlay.

Last edited by averne,

ragestaker21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Quick update: at this point, I have pretty much everything I want implemented (minus some stuff I want to polish, and some code cleanup). What you see here is the client ui. On the right side are two preview windows, the first to show color modifications (in this case, only temperature), and the second to illustrate color correction on the gamma ramps. The images are of course placeholders.

However I don't have access to an external monitor right now, so I can't really test on that. I think I'm gonna hold the release until I can make sure it works properly, ie in early September. In the meantime, I'll write the overlay.

Wow looks good!
It is still a filter on top of the screen like precedent releases or is a real color modification?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So I'm pretty happy to announce that after some research I've got this working, notice how the dark colors (eg loading screens) are completely unaffected.

Some notes:
  • Aside from temperature, I want to add:
    • Gamma setting: this allows, for instance, to make colors more vivid (useful in dark games), or adjust the colors displayed by an old/bad monitor
    • Luminance setting: this allows to darken/brighten up the image. This is different from the backlight setting, and as such it provides a way to go past the (imo) very bright screen of the console, especially if you want to play in the dark
    • And keep the backlight settings
  • Screenshots/video captures aren't affected by this
  • As seen in the video, we can access a very wide range of temperatures. Therefore, smooth transitions are possible (same goes for gamma/luminance, and backlight brightness)
  • Barring any roadblocks, it should be possible to have per monitor settings (ie internal aka handheld, and external aka docked)
  • Since it doesn't use a layer anymore, it's also possible to have a Tesla overlay. However I don't plan to completely remove the companion app (the overlay will probably be a simplified version of it)

I F LOVE YOU, THIS IS WHAT NINTENDO SHOULD HAVE DONE IN 2017, YOU ARE AWESOME.

I suffer from HEAVY photophobia and GAD and i must use always very yellow glasses,sometimes these glasses are too heavy for some games especially the blurry ones with dynamic res. With this app i can play without Any glasses and customize the intensity of the blue light! CANT WAIT TO INSTALL FIZEAU 2.0

YOU ARE THE BEST

Last edited by ragestaker21,

cinemon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
WOW...i have waited for something like this since the beginning of home-brew for switch. I need gamma setting ;)

I have a problem with Fizeau 1.4.... I get error on the latest firmware and AMS.

Please release FIZEAU 2.0 TODAY :D

LOVE YOU!

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yep, looks like Fizeau is not usable on the latest firmware.

Also, Fizeau 2.0 looks so damn good. Being able to finally correct the colors on my shitty screen + being compatible with overlays will make it perfect :yay:
Can't wait to try it

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Also, Fizeau 2.0 looks so damn good. Being able to finally correct the colors on my shitty screen + being compatible with overlays will make it perfect :yay:
Can't wait to try it
I tried with the latest release on 10.0.1/AMS 0.14.1 and it worked. Maybe some issue with another sysmodule?

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Can't wait to try it
Okay, I've reproduced the issue after booting via fusee-primary instead of my usual hekate.
Just pushed a fix: https://github.com/averne/Fizeau/releases/tag/v1.4.1

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I've decided to publish a "beta" after I was told the app worked on external displays (aka docked mode).
Keep in mind that I didn't properly test external display support yet, so some things might be quirky. Especially, I'm aware that official software applies some settings over HDMI (the AVI infoframe, specifically) that I haven't reversed atm.

Source: https://github.com/averne/Fizeau

Attachments

• Fizeau-2.0.0-8a6d6d1.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 335

ragestaker21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've decided to publish a "beta" after I was told the app worked on external displays (aka docked mode).
Keep in mind that I didn't properly test external display support yet, so some things might be quirky. Especially, I'm aware that official software applies some settings over HDMI (the AVI infoframe, specifically) that I haven't reversed atm.

Source: https://github.com/averne/Fizeau
Would love to test but i have to update atmosphere first shimatta

bountheast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just tried it out on my Switch and it works really, really well. Even docked (at least for me on my monitor). This is actually awesome, thanks!

ragestaker21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Trying fizeau 2.0 beta and it works so good! Nintendo could have done this but nope , this gentleman on the internet, external to the company, does it and its even great!!!

3k temperature

CF84ACA6-299A-452C-81BF-9C4A239C12CF.jpeg

Last edited by ragestaker21,
Reactions: cearp

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow looks good!
It is still a filter on top of the screen like precedent releases or is a real color modification?

I'm also curious if the gamma correction means that it's now doing a true color correction as opposed to an overlay.

Also, the beta crashes SXOS on start-up, unfortunately. I'm using the latest version with SX Lite on my Switch Lite.

@averne

Last edited by mattyxarope,

averne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm also curious if the gamma correction means that it's now doing a true color correction as opposed to an overlay.

Also, the beta crashes SXOS on start-up, unfortunately. I'm using the latest version with SX Lite on my Switch Lite.

@averne
Yes, it's not an overlay anymore. You can read the detail of the inner workings in https://github.com/averne/Fizeau/blob/master/README.md (don't hesitate to ask questions).

I don't officially support SX OS.It may or may not work, I can't test it anyways.

Anyways, I reversed the HDMI stuff i mentioned earlier in the thread. It sets the "color quantization range" to either full or limited, which is redundant with the color range setting they already implement using the CMU. I'll probably implement it for completion's sake, anyways.

mattyxarope

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, it's not an overlay anymore. You can read the detail of the inner workings in https://github.com/averne/Fizeau/blob/master/README.md (don't hesitate to ask questions).

I don't officially support SX OS.It may or may not work, I can't test it anyways.

Anyways, I reversed the HDMI stuff i mentioned earlier in the thread. It sets the "color quantization range" to either full or limited, which is redundant with the color range setting they already implement using the CMU. I'll probably implement it for completion's sake, anyways.
Yeah, I'm getting error 2168-0002 when booting into SX.

Unfortunately it's the only firmware available for Lite and Mariko units. Hopefully one day there's a solution for it.

I can't wait to try it eventually - it looks great!

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Works damn well both handheld and docked mode, I used to stop playing with my monitor because it looked like shit and it was way too bright, now it looks damn well + the compability with tesla is neat
Really great job on this one, I wasn't able to use Fizeau 1.0 that much because of tesla but now, it's just the perfect app. Finally, my eyes will stop burning at night. Thanks a lot for your work dude

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1