Fixing WiiU's limited RGB via IOSU exploit. (360, X1, PS3, Vita TV, PS4 don't have this problem).

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Soul_Alchemist, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Soul_Alchemist
    OP

Soul_Alchemist Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2008
    WiiU only outputs Limited RGB by default. With no option whatsoever to change it.

Would it be possible to fix this horrible oversight now that developers have access to all the system files thanks to the IOSU exploit?

Here's a picture showing why it's so bad:

[​IMG]

It kills the image quality. Blacks get turned into grays, whites get subdued, and the entire range of colors gets a gray filter. This problems affects everyone with a Full RGB panel. Obviously, if your display/TV only supports Limited RGB then you won't actually be affected by this.

Here's a comparison between Full RGB and Limited RGB using Uncharted 4 as an example:

2. Conn0r

Conn0r GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    I ain't no professional but I don't think we can just flip a few bits and have the image quality change.

3. Boogieboo6

Boogieboo6 @realDonaldTrump

Jul 30, 2015
    United States
    I'm not an expert either, but maybe it could work! Like changing a TV screen to Warm vs Cool colors.

4. RemixDeluxe

RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 23, 2010
    United States
    Why was it gimped in the first place? Would it have been too resource heavy on the Wii U's specs to go full in the first place?

5. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Do you have a good link for more info on the difference between full and limited?

6. Glix

Glix GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2016
    http://referencehometheater.com/2014/commentary/rgb-full-vs-limited/

It all depends on what reference point you are calibrated around and what your panel can handle, on PC you are likely to be on Full range, and on TV ideally you should be limited although I like to hook up my pc, so calibrate for full anyway.

hippy dave likes this.
  7. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    My TV has an "HDMI black level" setting that compensates for this. Yours might have a similar option that's called something else. Regardless I doubt this will be correctable with IOSU exploit

Last edited by Kohmei, Oct 29, 2016
    Tomato Hentai and Logan Pockrus like this.
  8. veggav

veggav GBAtemp Regular

Nov 21, 2009
    Brazil
    There's no reason to work this out.

Any monitor or tv is able to switch from 0-255 or 16-245.
    You won't be loosing details.
    When both, source and tv are set to the same levels the BTB (blacker than black) and WTW (whiter than white) are not to be seen and used only as a reference level for calibration.
    Don't stress over it.

9. piratesephiroth

piratesephiroth I wish I could read

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    If I force my monitor I use with the Wii U to full RGB the colors get pretty shitty.

The best option is to let the console detect the best setting for the TV/monitor.

Last edited by piratesephiroth, Oct 29, 2016
  10. Gericom

Gericom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 30, 2011
    Netherlands
    This actually is a problem indeed. I am mostly using my wii u on a Sony tv that only supports limited range, so that works fine, but I occasionally use it with an Asus monitor that only supports full range, and that looks very bad indeed. Wouldn't it simply be possible to configure the chip that provides the hdmi output to output full range? It would be rather strange if it wouldn't have such an option.

11. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Ya but if you're switching between monitors used for different devices often, this gets annoying. So I would say there is a reason just maybe not that important to everyone.

12. shilien

shilien Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2016
    I have the same problem. And yes, it's very annoying because image quality it's incredibly bad.

Will be amazing if someone manage to fix it, but i'm not optimistic.

13. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    Well, I guess the Wii U is made to be used with TVs, and they always support limited RGB.
    If you want to use it on a monitor, get a gaming one then. Mine works fine.

14. Osakasan

Osakasan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 19, 2015
    I'm using my U on a monitor and i'm ok. Mine has full and limited RGB options.

I have everything on limited, even muy PC, with no problem whatsoever

15. piratesephiroth

Sep 5, 2013
    Brazil
    yeah, the topic is misleading. There's nothing wrong with limited RGB.

The problem is when you hook your Wii U console to a PC monitor that's intended to be used only with PCs.

16. cheuble

cheuble Marieismâ„¢

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    I got clickbaited so hard!

Netux likes this.