Hardware Fixing up RROD 360

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in about two weeks, I'm going to be getting a 360 that RROD'd a while ago. I want to attempt to fix it, and I'd like some advice on doing it. Here's the materials I have:

Thermal Paste
Cotton swabs
T10 and T8 screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Pliers

I believe that's all I'll really need, but correct me if I'm wrong. All I really intend to do is clean the dust out of it (Which I'm sure there's a lot of) and apply new thermal paste to the CPU and GPU. I've also read that reflowing the motherboard is a good idea, but I don't know how necessary that is. I'm fairly confident I can do this as I am pretty handy, but if there's something you guys think I need to look out for, then let me know.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
RRoD consoles usually have cold solderjoints.
You'll have to reflow (more permanent solution is to reball them) the GPU/CPU for sure.

Also, mod the fans to 12V (to prevent it from dying quickly.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just replacing the thermal paste isnt really going to do anything, it will just rrod very soon if it doesnt from the start
you are going to need a heatgun (the overheat gpu method is decent but the heatgun method works alot better)

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RRoD consoles usually have cold solderjoints.
You'll have to reflow (more permanent solution is to reball them) the GPU/CPU for sure.

Also, mod the fans to 12V (to prevent it from dying quickly.

Alright, so I think reflowing is feasible for me, but I'm not too confident in the 12v mod as I have no experience soldering. It would also require purchasing a soldering iron, which I do not have.

Tonitonichopchop

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soldering iron at radioshack or whatever you USA people have is like 10 quid? ;p
Or borrow one from your neighbors~

On second thought, I think I'm going to try the non-solder method. Seems quite a bit easier, and I don't see any reason not to. But if there's a good reason I should do the soldering method, let me know.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just dropping by to offer a tip. I had an RROD on my Xbox and ordered the RROD fix kit. The kit included TWO alcohol wipe packets but when I opened up the console and tried to clean off the thermal paste, it was almost solid. I would strongly recommend ordering more alcohol wipes from ebay as well because that was the most tedious part of fixing a RROD 360 console.

Personally even though it ended up working again, I don't trust this as a permanent fix which is why I just ended up selling it to someone else.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tapping into the 12v dvd drive line is fine
I did it before, just need to be careful when stripping the insulation off the wire
and a little bit of electrical tape

you dont need to cut the wire off the original connector, you can just slide if out the plastic connector (so you can reverse it in the future)

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not for nothing but do you plan on using washers when placing the heatsinks back in the board? I normally use one plastic and one metal for each screw ^_^ But that's just me.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually, the Xclamps also put pressure at the back directly underneath the chip.
If you're just going to put in washers and screws then the outer edges of the chips locations (near the screws) would start to warp towards the heatsink, putting strain on the middle part of the BGA of the CPU/GPU.

So unless you have some kind of shield that puts pressure in the center of the chip at the other side of the Mobo then I would advice against doing that ;p

Reactions: EMP Knightmare

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just dropping by to offer a tip. I had an RROD on my Xbox and ordered the RROD fix kit. The kit included TWO alcohol wipe packets but when I opened up the console and tried to clean off the thermal paste, it was almost solid. I would strongly recommend ordering more alcohol wipes from ebay as well because that was the most tedious part of fixing a RROD 360 console.

Personally even though it ended up working again, I don't trust this as a permanent fix which is why I just ended up selling it to someone else.

I'd personally recommend Goo Gone or similar sticker removal fluid, then clean it with rubbing alcohol.

Also, the alcohol wipes aren't necessary, a paper towel or a rag soaked in alcohol works just fine. If you insist on the alcohol wipes, grabbing them from the pharmacy section of your local department store ought to work just fine (may or may not be cheaper but you'll have them then and there. For real though, isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel. Can't get cheaper than that.)

new2wii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a Xbox360 Phat RROD (3 red lights at start up) I took it all apart cleaned everything up heat sinks ect... did the heat gun trick applied new heat sink compound and put everything back together. When I started the console it does the same thing 3 red lights as soon as it starts, is there something else that may cause this or is the machine just dead?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's financially better to just get a Jasper Phat or Slim one.

Xenons are only going to cost you more and more eventually.
They will overheat and RRoD again unless you profesionally reball them.

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
Xenon Xbox 360s can survive even though they are likely to overheat compared to later versions but if you keep it in a dust free spot, well ventilated and open it to clean and remove dust/dirt on a regular basis. I got multiple Xboxs, a slim, Xenon & Jasper, all working to date. The Jasper did red ring on me but after taking it apart, cleaning, heating the motherboard and replacing the thermal paste it turned out to be the damn power supply (power brick).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    @SylverReZ Never heard of tiger crust. What is it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Its known as tiger bread, also known as dutch crust.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's fuggin gooooood
    +1
    I mean. Whats different about it?
    Never even seen a tiger crust pizza in any stores around here. Walmart, Cub, or otherwise.
    Must be a regional thing.
    Gonna smoke this bowl then go get kitties ashes. <3
    Last thing I told her is how much I love her, and that Im not leaving her there forever and I promise to come back and take her back home with me.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    halllo
  • Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit:
    hello, anyone is able to create cheat patches for cemu? i have a simple request if anyone can help
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad:
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @RedColoredStars, Rest in piece. Hope she rests well, and that she loves you too. :sad: