Hardware Fixing Partition 2 On OEM 320GB 360 Slim Harddrive?

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm setting up a stock WD 320GB harddrive for use with a 360 slim model. It's mostly up and running, but I can't get partition 2/original xbox game functionality to work. When I try to browse the drive with Xploder360 Extreme2 it only shows "Partition 1". Horizon shows all the data ok but doesn't designate partitions. 360Commander shows partitions 0,2,3 on the drive just fine. I would think with partition 2 there it should be good, although partition 2 is empty. Because Xploder360 Extreme sees "partition 1" and nothing else, I don't think it can restore partition 2 from my backup image properly.

When I try to play an original xbox disc on the system, it recognizes the discs but gives an error saying I might need to redownload the game. I have tried Grabbed By the Ghoulies and Halo 2. Both discs are fine.

What is the current best method for resolving this issue?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hm, do you have access to a JTAG/RGH machine?
Might be a long shot but you might be able to copy the emulator files onto the partition with FSD/Xexmenu.

You're using Win10?

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm, do you have access to a JTAG/RGH machine?
Might be a long shot but you might be able to copy the emulator files onto the partition with FSD/Xexmenu.

You're using Win10?
Right now I'm working on my Win7 32-bit machine. I also have a Win10 64-bit machine. Both Pro. I do not have a modded 360 machine. My own 360 is a black (elite I guess) phat model. I probably should get to softmodding it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may be smb 1.0. it seems to be the problem with a lot of older game systems. for example, you can no longer map a network drive on the 360 unless you enable that feature. don't know if that's happening here, but windows 10 has it disabled in its feature's list due to security concerns. I think this is also the cause of the usb connectivity issue with the vita.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Right now I'm working on my Win7 32-bit machine. I also have a Win10 64-bit machine. Both Pro. I do not have a modded 360 machine. My own 360 is a black (elite I guess) phat model. I probably should get to softmodding it.

nm, what I said, since you're using windows 7. you might try permissions, moving the app to the desktop (no spaces or weird characters). with permissions, check if the user has full access.

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it may be smb 1.0. it seems to be the problem with a lot of older game systems. for example, you can no longer map a network drive on the 360 unless you enable that feature. don't know if that's happening here, but windows 10 has it disabled in its feature's list due to security concerns. I think this is also the cause of the usb connectivity issue with the vita.

Horizon sees the drive ok, as does 360Commander. Modio not so much. 360Xploder Extreme only sees "Partition 1"

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hm weird.
Using Win 7 32 bit meself and I'm able to R/W on Partition 2 in Xplorer360, all builds of them.

You're using the official MS transfer kit?

Oh, allowed sufficient waiting before the entire drive has been loaded (up to 5 min?)

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hm weird.
Using Win 7 32 bit meself and I'm able to R/W on Partition 2 in Xplorer360, all builds of them.

You're using the official MS transfer kit?

Oh, allowed sufficient waiting before the entire drive has been loaded (up to 5 min?)

No, I took apart a Seagate "Expansion Portable Drive" and used the USB connector from it with the WD drive. It worked enough to format it and copy the HDDhackr stuff to it. The only step I can't complete is the partition 2 bit.

I'm very tempted to just connect directly to the mobo (and obviously reboot the computer before hand.)

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, tried connecting the drive to my PC directly to mobo. Still getting same results. Modio and Xploder360_320 still don't see it. Other programs do.
-

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've made some progress. I redid HDDHackr, and now Xplorer360-320 shows partitions 0,2,3 but there is no option in Xplorer360-320 to restore just partition 2 like there is in Xplorer Extreme.

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does the kit have to do with whether or not the option to restore partition 2 exists in Xploder360-320? Do you use a different option there? Xploder360 Extreme has a specific option that says "restore partition 2". The 320 version doesn't have this.

lisreal2401

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, I never had that issue when I stored the emulator partition on me 320GB drive in Xplorer360-320.

Are you using the MS transfer kit?
This isn't here or there - so long as the drive is picked up in Windows you can restore the partition regardless.

Also - these tools, while useful, kind of suck in terms of usability. If you don't mind the installation of FATxplorer (premium tool with a free 7 day clock) this is polished to shit, despite it being paid software for a very niche market. It doesn't mind any HDD you throw at it from the short time I tried it.

Last edited by lisreal2401,

Startropic1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This isn't here or there - so long as the drive is picked up in Windows you can restore the partition regardless.

Also - these tools, while useful, kind of suck in terms of usability. If you don't mind the installation of FATxplorer (premium tool with a free 7 day clock) this is polished to shit, despite it being paid software for a very niche market. It doesn't mind any HDD you throw at it from the short time I tried it.

Yeah, I tried FATxplorer, but in the free version they have the partition 2 option blocked behind the paywall. There's also Party Buffalo, but that doesn't really have a partition 2 option.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1