Homebrew Fixing Disc channel

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A) I hope I post in right section
B) I searched for problem (mostly USB Loader GX Thread)

Simple Soft-Mod with USB Loader GX on 4.3 Wii

If I put original game into slot to play, I get Update Channel instead of the game. How can I eliminate that from appearing?

I have understanding of the basics (thanks to this forum). Everything on USB works.

Now, I am trying to learn the next level to the Wii.

1) Removing Update from Disc Channel
2) Set Wii for GameCube
3) Modify main screen channels

Thanks,

ISO-Man

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
I use startpatch 4.3 to avoid disc updates in disc channel, use with caution as it writes your Wii's NAND and can brick permanently your Wii.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Instead of Startpatch, it's recommended you install Priiloader and enable the Block Online Updates and Block Disc Updates hacks. You can download Priiloader easily with ModMii.

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was starting to do a Priiloader, but the extreme warning and it saying are you sure type of remarks made me whimp out :)

If I just follow the steps, it should be idiot proof?

Thanks,
ISO-Man

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
If I just follow the steps, it should be idiot proof?
As long as the power doesn't go out while it's installing everything should be okay. (It only takes a couple seconds to install...so it's even less dangerous than doing an official system update on a clean Wii.)

2) Set Wii for GameCube
3) Modify main screen channels
I'm not sure what you mean by these two exactly.
2- GameCube mode runs automatically when you put a GameCube game in. If you want to run them off of DVD-R (and your Wii is old enough for DVD-R) you need a cMIOS. If you want to run them off of USB or SD you need DM(L) or Devolution. (DM, DML and a cMIOS all go in the same place on the Wii so you can only have one at a time.).

3- Are you talking about a theme? You can install a theme with a WAD file or with Menuify mod (I think that's what it's called.) It's fairly safe as long as you have PriiLoader installed FIRST. (then if you break it at least you can still fix it.) just don't UN-install a theme. INstall only. If you want to get rid of it just just put the old theme back.
- You can also add new channels with WAD files.

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the power doesn't go out while it's installing everything should be okay. (It only takes a couple seconds to install...so it's even less dangerous than doing an official system update on a clean Wii.)

I'm not sure what you mean by these two exactly.
2- GameCube mode runs automatically when you put a GameCube game in. If you want to run them off of DVD-R (and your Wii is old enough for DVD-R) you need a cMIOS. If you want to run them off of USB or SD you need DM(L) or Devolution. (DM, DML and a cMIOS all go in the same place on the Wii so you can only have one at a time.).

3- Are you talking about a theme? You can install a theme with a WAD file or with Menuify mod (I think that's what it's called.) It's fairly safe as long as you have PriiLoader installed FIRST. (then if you break it at least you can still fix it.) just don't UN-install a theme. INstall only. If you want to get rid of it just just put the old theme back.
- You can also add new channels with WAD files.

1) Yes, to run GC from USB :) I know it is simple (everyone states), I haven't got to that point yet :)

2) WAD as channels. I already started to explore this area. I did 'get' a couple to test and definitely an area I will venture into.

Question: Is all WAD's WiiWare or is WiiWare a copyright label ?

Still much for me to understand and learn... that is the excitement/fun to the Wii, learning :)

Installed Priiloader, it is idiot proof :)

I bought a $25 Wii from a local on Ebay to use as a test unit. That allows me to be more relaxed in experimenting.

Thanks,
ISO-Man

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Question: Is all WAD's WiiWare or is WiiWare a copyright label ?
If you're asking what I think you are here, WiiWare is copyrighted, yes, which means that it's not legal to install it if you don't own it already.
BUT
I think it is possible to find it as a WAD and install it, yes, even though it is copyrighted.

Reactions: ISO-Man

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're asking what I think you are here, WiiWare is copyrighted, yes, which means that it's not legal to install it if you don't own it already.
BUT
I think it is possible to find it as a WAD and install it, yes, even though it is copyrighted.

Example: If Mario Cart 64 WAD installed as channel, is that considered as WiiWare or just a custom Channel?

Need a "Wii Lingo for Dummies" :)

ISO-Man

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Example: If Mario Cart 64 WAD installed as channel, is that considered as WiiWare or just a custom Channel?

Need a "Wii Lingo for Dummies" :)

ISO-Man
Okay, That would be "Virtual Console". that's what they call old games that you can get from the Shop Channel.
"WiiWare" would be stuff that's JUST for the Wii that didn't exist before.

ISO-Man

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I seen that term used frequently "Virtual Console". Now I know what that means :)

Thanks for your input and input from others in this thread!

ISO-Man

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp