Fixing a rom

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by RingKing97, Feb 3, 2007.

Feb 3, 2007

Fixing a rom by RingKing97 at 11:18 PM (1,104 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. RingKing97
    OP

Member RingKing97 Advanced Member

United States
    I recieved a DS ROM is SRL format after some research I found out that is a clean rom not sure what that means. Is ther any why to convert it to NDS? I tried the obivous just changing the file extenstion but got no where just froze my ds.

2. RingKing97
    OP

United States
    WOW NO ONE!!

3. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I don't think it's anything else then the other .nds roms, have you tried just changing the file extension by renaming the file?

4. Flyfishing

Newcomer Flyfishing Advanced Member

United States
    ".srl (also called "clean dump", sometimes distributed as .nds because they use the same header) is a commercial ROM dump consisting of a .nds file and an appended file system, usually in Nitro-FAT format. The code in the .nds file reads from the appended file system using block transfers through the DS game card access registers. Homebrew tools do not generate .srl, and WMB does not support .srl. In the future, GBA Movie Player might support .srl by patching the ROMs to read the Nitro-FAT from the GBA Movie Player instead of the DS game card, but this isn't guaranteed to happen before DS end of life."

From NDSHB.com

So it appears that .srl will not run at all on any devices. If you really want to run the rom you got, download the proper .nds dump.

5. RingKing97
    OP

United States
    the game has yet to be release and geting the code again is easy but i am not sure I can get the cart. Even if i was i do not have the tools to dump it

6. kev3458

Member kev3458 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Probably best to wait for the .nds to come out. Sorry [​IMG]

7. dread123

Member dread123 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    what game is it then? come on....its not been released yet...give us a clue

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    .srl is an extension internal to some roms, my guess is that it is a copy of the download play component. You will need a flashme modded DS but you could try injecting it into another game/download station.

9. Normmatt

Member Normmatt Former AKAIO Programmer

New Zealand
    .srl is just the official file extension for the .nds file format, you should be able to simply rename it to .nds and maybe if need be unencrypt the secure area using ndstool

EDIT: remember .srl is the official file extension and so any files with .srl will need to be patched with the appropriate flashcart software which may require you too rename it to .nds