Fix or buy a new one? A tale of a sad DS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by JohnoBoy, Aug 27, 2008.

Aug 27, 2008
  1. JohnoBoy
    OP

Newcomer JohnoBoy Advanced Member

Israel
    Hey peeps, my trusty DS lite (About 18 months old) was behaving oddly in the past few months, recently it was getting worse, I was wondering if the symptoms it shows are fixable or should I give up and buy a new one...

What my DS suffers from is as follows:
    • Left shoulder button sometimes stops working, I need to blow on it a few time so it'll work again.
    • Casing has some cracks. Aside from the infamous "white DS lite hinge crack" I have several cosmetic cracks around thinner areas (near Slot 1 and between face buttons.
    • Left on the d-pad is less responsive, feels less "springy" (and is a bit recessed) than other directions. While it's still working, usually I can't quickly tap on it and have to press it harder.
    • Slot 1 sometimes losses contact with cart when DS is tilted (for example, left off in standby inside a bag), usually when turned back on it'll either get the game stuck, or unable to save, I have to get the cart out and put it back in (turning off and on the DS, of course...) so it'll start working again... it also happened to me mid-game so I can't 100% attribute it to tilting.
    • My touch screen seems off-calibrated at all times, no matter how many times I'll do the screen calibration, it'll never light up the test areas in the correct location or work correctly afterwards, affecting games and apps which require precise calibration (almost anything that needs the touch screen). The faulty areas are on the right side of the screen, mostly around the lower area.
    That pretty much sums it up, I was thinking that maybe I can order some spare parts from places like DealExtreme and try to open it and replace some stuff, for example getting a new outer case, replacing the touch screen and getting a new rubber bottom for my D-pad. I would never dare, however, attempting anything involving soldering, so, for example, I wouldn't install a replacement for the shoulder buttons "inner buttons".

What would yo do? Have any of you experienced any of these symptoms and found any workarounds for them? Do you think that all of these issues are even fixable? Should I bother fixing this DS or just get a new one? How hard will it be to open and replace stuff inside the case?

Thank you all in advance, any help or advice will be appreciated...

2. -Mew-

Member -Mew- GBAtemp Regular

Croatia
    Well you should at least look at the price difference for the new parts with shipping vs a new DS. Before doing anything.

3. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Wow, that's ALMOST the exact problems i had with my last DS Lite, especially the touch screen part, you could not touch the far right of the screen, also it didnt calibrate correctly, so it was kinda 0.5cm off.. mostly at the lower part..
    well.. until it also started to turn itself off.. and just a month later, the hinge cracked totally.. and all those worst things just some weeks after the warranty expire -.-

and i just now sent in my new DS lite for repairs(again..).. a cracked hinge, a faulty touchscreen (it kinda hops around when you press somewhere, so it first "press" at the far right, and then makes a "drag" effect to the spot you're actually touching..) also, the upperscreen makes this effect as if you would press your finger against an LCD screen, without even touching it..
    i'm tired of these white DS Lites.. i'm hoping i'll get a Black one back from the repairs (you could always hope.. as i asked for it specificly in the e-mail conversation i had with the repairstation, there's so much faulty with it, that i hope they'll just replace it..)

good luck with yours..

4. JohnoBoy
    OP

Israel
    I did do some calculations, it'll cost me about $22 to get a new casing, button pads and touch screen replacement, which is a lot less than the $130 it'll cost me to get a new DS lite (ignoring shipping costs).
    The thing is, I don't even know if it's worth my time trying to fix the system... Aside from the cosmetics issue and the d-pad thing, will changing a touch screen fix the problem? Are my issues with the touchscreen even fixable by a touchscreen replacement or indicative of a "deeper" problem?

I have a friend flying over to the US over the next few weeks, I think what I'll do is get a new DS lite for myself and fix this one to give it over to my niece, I think even at it's current condition it'll still be enough for her, but that still depends if my DS is even fixable...

5. Joey90

Member Joey90 Not around any more

United Kingdom
    1. You can try cleaning out the shoulder buttons when you disassemble (does it still click when it doesn't work?)
    2. You can either get a new case, or wait until it actually breaks.
    3. Your D-Pad conductive pad is a bit ripped, making it unresponsive, you need new ones.
    4. Do you have a flashcard? Because it is almost always that, and not the DS. (though obviously if commercial games do it then it could be)
    5. You can try reseating the touch screen when you disassemble, or you can buy a new one.

6. JohnoBoy
    OP

Israel
    Thanks for the help, everyone.
    I've ordered some spare parts (everything mentioned but shoulder pad, cuz those need soldering), I hope I'll manage to fix most of my problems, in any case I'm also getting a new DS, I'll try and take better care of it [​IMG]