Fix for/Alternative to the Wii U Gamepad Charging Cable?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by SlightlyModified, Jul 4, 2017.

1. SlightlyModified
    OP

SlightlyModified Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2017
    Ireland
    Hello there!
    So I have already gone through 2 charging cables, and at the moment I am not able to get a new one.I can't find the one that came with the console and the only other one I have is a cheap third party one. I was wondering if there's any other way to charge the Gamepad or is there a fix for whatever is wrong with it? Many Thanks in Advance! :D

Also, sorry if this was posted in the wrong section! I'm not sure where this should go.

2. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    do you know if it is just the proprietary connector at the end , the one that goes into the gamepad?
    if it is i found a solution ,well sort of
    to at least get my pad charged but not to be able to use it on AC
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/seems-s...ken-pad-charger-easy-fix.430445/#post-6436433

just cut the end off and strip the wires and see if the transformer is outputting voltage
    (might want to leave some slack on the wires for the connector)

Last edited by weatMod, Jul 4, 2017
    SlightlyModified likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Energizer sells a 3rd party Gamepad + Wiimote charging dock with 2 rechargeable Wiimote batteries, I ended up buying one of those myself when I lost my gamepad charger (it later turned up again)
    It doesn't seem to work with the extended gamepad battery for some reason, but it worked fine before I upgraded to the extended battery.

SlightlyModified likes this.
  4. SlightlyModified
    OP

SlightlyModified Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2017
    Ireland
    I have no idea, but I'll check when I can. Thanks!

Thank you, I'll look into this if I can't fix it, would be handy for my Wii too!

5. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    it probably is the connector it is really unlikely that the transformer/PSU is dead what always happens with shit like this is that the wires are worn out inside the cable right near the connector ,just cut the connector off and leave about 2 inches and save it in case it's not broke and you need it in the future
    test the wires with a multimeter or an LED and make sure there is power then if you have a cradle you are all set

Last edited by weatMod, Jul 4, 2017
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
  7. themyst

themyst GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    United States
    If you replace the charger again, I'd also consider getting a charging dock so you won't put any wear and tear on the plug.