Hardware Hacking Misc GBA First time modding seeking advice

MicroWazzle

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently purchased a gameboy advance and am looking to mod it to the extreme with a ips lcs, amp, battery mod, power cleaner for the amp, and a hdmi mod but i don't know what tools i need i know i need a soldering iron but which one I don't know do I just use a cheap one or get one that has temapture control?

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Cheap soldering irons will overheat and literally burn your Board (components will be damaged). If you plan on really getting the skills investing in a good one would be a wise choice.

Others tools/things to Invest into would bei e.g. a third hand with magnifying glass to hold the board, Flux to beeing able to solder clean, tweezers to reseat components/wires, tools to open up electronics and maybe a solder Pump.
Btw.

Don't begin with your gba you will destroy it and have solder all over the place. No offense but you need skills to solder small components or wires. Try with some cheap electronics first and when you are comfortable enough you can try some complex stuff like resolder smaller ICs and FLEX cables etc. Only then I would start with a gba.

Last edited by GothicIII,

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheap soldering irons will overheat and literally burn your Board (components will be damaged). If you plan on really getting the skills investing in a good one would be a wise choice.

Others tools/things to Invest into would bei e.g. a third hand with magnifying glass to hold the board, Flux to beeing able to solder clean, tweezers to reseat components/wires and maybe a solder Pump.
Btw.

Don't begin with your gba you will destroy it and have solder all over the place. No offense but you need skills to solder small components or wires. Try with some cheap electronics first and when you are comfortable enough you can try some complex stuff like resolder smaller ICs and FLEX cables etc. Only then I would start with a gba.
F%$K THAT. JUST DO IT
Having the Correct tools is useful but If you don't have skill or experience it does not matter
When I first Started mods, all I had was a $5 Soldering iron with no labeled Solder I bought At the Thrift store.
I Missed up several thing thought out the years but thats how you learn.

@MicroWazzle - just get the basics ,iron, flux, solder, cheap tweezer, I just end up using my wife eyebrow tweezers.
start with the easiest mod and look at the tutorial instructions and videos. Memorize them and then just go in Gun-HO!
( always Remember- you have to be ok with a Small Chance of F#$King it up. )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat