First major PS5 update releases tomorrow; allows transferring of PS5 games to USB extended storage

ps5 update.JPG

Sony is rolling out the first major PS5 update tomorrow, worldwide. The main new feature that it brings along is to enable players to transfer their PS5 games from the console's internal storage to a USB extended storage. However, this does not allow games to be downloaded directly to or run on the USB extended storage as the Sony mentions that " PS5 games are designed to take advantage of the console’s ultra high-speed SSD". The company writes that this feature is meant to "extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console" as it's faster to reinstall games from an external storage rather than downloading again or copying from a disc.

In the announcement blog post, Sony notes that it is still working on support for storage expansion via M.2 drives.

The new update also brings along other features like 'Cross-generation Share Play' which allows PS4 and PS5 players to use Share Play together while chatting in parties.

In addition to updating the PS5, the PlayStation App itself is receiving new features. These include joining a multiplayer session on PS5 from the app, managing PS5 storage, comparing trophy collections with friends, and sort and filter products shown in the PlayStation Store.

You can find more details about the new updates in the official PlayStation Blog post linked below.

:arrow: SOURCE

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sony is rolling out the first major PS5 update tomorrow, worldwide. The main new feature that it brings along is to enable players to transfer their PS5 games from the console's internal storage to a USB extended storage. However, this does not allow games to be downloaded directly to or run on the USB extended storage as the Sony mentions that " PS5 games are designed to take advantage of the console’s ultra high-speed SSD". The company writes that this feature is meant to "extend the storage capabilities of your PS5 console" as it's faster to reinstall games from an external storage rather than downloading again or copying from a disc.

In the announcement blog post, Sony notes that it is still working on support for storage expansion via M.2 drives.

The new update also brings along other features like 'Cross-generation Share Play' which allows PS4 and PS5 players to use Share Play together while chatting in parties.

In addition to updating the PS5, the PlayStation App itself is receiving new features. These include joining a multiplayer session on PS5 from the app, managing PS5 storage, comparing trophy collections with friends, and sort and filter products shown in the PlayStation Store.

You can find more details about the new updates in the official PlayStation Blog post linked below.

:arrow: SOURCE
I don’t understand what is taking them so long to allow m.2 storage

starting to seem like they had absolutely no plans to include it until they heard that the series x will have it, than just included it to not be left out and let the developers figure it out later

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What Ps5 games ? *BadaBumTs*

How ?
Would you want to have an USB Stick sticking out from your Smitch while you walk around playing like a Gangsta™ ?

I know it's supposed to be a portable system, but I'm inching towards having a full 1TB card. there are no 2TB cards. personally, I think of the switch lite as being portable, the normal switch not so much.

sloppycrap

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
I don’t understand what is taking them so long to allow m.2 storage

starting to seem like they had absolutely no plans to include it until they heard that the series x will have it, than just included it to not be left out and let the developers figure it out later

M.2 is the new External Expansion Point (unused)

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i will be surprised if this doesnt lead to an exploit
Wiiu exhdd support never led to an exploit and nintendo has a much worse track record

It can be done pretty securely

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
So....these BIG companies couldn't just plan ahead and polish their software and know in advance what they want in it, so they must make people update constantly.

I simply hate that this has become the new normal.

I support the ability to update but not non stop updating and inability to play games if you did not updated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    fluff663 @ fluff663: hoi